Local Hostname of Jail not resolvable

Status
Not open for further replies.

madtulip

Explorer
noobs configuring electronics part 13.:

On my local network i have a fritzbox router (192.168.0.101) acting as gateway , dhcp and dns server. my FreeNas and a jail on it got fixed IP adresses.:
nas 192.168.0.10
jail 192.168.0.11
from a third machine i can ping "nas" but i cant ping "jail". i can ping both 192.168.0.10 as well as 192.168.0.11 though.
so i guess the fritzbox somehow doesnt get the entry "jail 192.168.0.11" in its table. i dont understand why though.
sshing into the jail and checking.:
Code:
root@jail:/ # hostname
jail

Code:
root@jail:/ # cat /etc/resolv.conf
search local
nameserver 192.168.0.101

i triied to change
Code:
root@jail:/ # cat /etc/resolv.conf
search fritz.box
nameserver 192.168.0.101

but that wouldnt help eigther. i didnt realy exspect that to work as the /etc/resolv.conf on nas looks like this
Code:
root@nas:/ # cat /etc/resolv.conf
search local
nameserver 192.168.0.101

and nas resolves to 192.168.0.10 without problems. Im curious why it resolves in the first place though as "local" isnt a system on my subnet. Is "local" defined like "localhost" as loopback or what is "local" doing there?

what am i missing? Is it maybe related to the jail being a VM and the physical NIC having multiple IPs for the nas and its jails ?

i dont realy understand the dns server running on the fritz box. Its not configureable and it seams there is an automatic none changeable domain created by it called "fritz.box". I i.e. can ping nas.fritz.box but not jail.fritz.box. im not very satisfied with that and rather have that configurabe and named differently so im currently thinking about setting up a DNS in one of the jails of the nas.

Last edited:

madtulip

Explorer
on a 2nd thought the nameserver 192.168.0.101 in resolv.conf is probably just used to resolve my (nas`s respectively jail`s) request instead of register my hostname, no?

D

dlavigne

Correct. You need to create a record in the network's DNS server (or in every system's hosts file) to provide name resolution.

madtulip

Explorer
i wonder how the fritzbox as DNS server gets the mapping for "nas" to IP but not the mapping for "jail" to IP as i also didnt create a record for that.

well as the DNS of the fritzbox isnt configurable at all anyway i guess ill play aroun d with setting up a DNS server in a jail then.

D

dlavigne

It sounds like the fritzbox is handing out the DHCP lease for the nas (and then updating its DNS). However, it does not assign an address to the jail so knows nothing about it. If you have a dynamic jail address, it is coming out of the range of IPs specified in the "Jails Configuration". Or, if you instead assigned the jail a static address, it also does not know about that.

madtulip

Explorer
hmm ok. i assigned a static IP to the jail, as i did to the nas and all other devices on my LAN. Each devices DNS and gateway settings point to the IP of the fritzbox. the DNS entries do not apear for just the jails although none of my devices use the DHCP to optain an IP.

So where is the difference between nas and jail from the DHCPs perspective? the one that springs to mind is that the jails as VMs do not have a dedicated physical NIC but instead share theire NIC with the nas. apart from that i dont see configuration differences. It seams to be inconsistent to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.