loader.conf and memory tweaking assistance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmoJoe

Cadet
Greetings!

I am new to FreeNAS and a but of a newbie when it comes to Linux. I have been running FreeNAS (x86 edition as my CPU will not support AMD64 edition) on a Dell PowerEdge 2650 w/ 4GB of physical RAM and noticed that my CIFS shares were dropping after a few weeks. Upon further investigation I found that the system was experiencing kernel panic and thus did some research into the issue, reading the multitude of online guides, blogs, etc

After testing some tweaks to vm.kmem_size and vm.kmem_size_max I found a stable setting of 330M for both. I tried 512M for both values but experienced kernel panics on startup.

I am wondering if anyone with similar hardware could share optimal settings for loader.conf; thanks!

digitaltrash

Dabbler
. I have been running FreeNAS (x86 edition as my CPU will not support AMD64 edition) on a Dell PowerEdge 2650

Why won't it run 64 bit version? According to product specs, it's running a variant of intel Xeon's processors, which do have 64-bit support. Have you tried installing it? You do want a 640bit version of freenas to address all of your 4Gb of memory (and potentially more, as you upgrade to more ram).

Also, if the system is new, doing an extensive memtest86+ test won't hurt. That way you know that your RAM sticks are solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.