Load Balance Network Aggregation Question - Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Stoker

Cadet
Hi all, new guy here. Still researching this issue on some of the other threads in here. Just thought I would post it up here while I am looking.

I added an SFP+ card to my freenas box along with another SFP+ card on a windows pc. In order to get it working I had to combine both NICs into an aggregated link. My one issue is now my jails all want to use the SFP+ connection which only goes to a single PC. When i log into a jail it shows the active epairlb as the SFP+ connection, not any other. Is there a way to specify which port of a lagg a jail can use?

Link aggregation doesn't work the way most people think it works. Bonding two channels of differing capacities is generally a bad idea.

If you want your configuration to work, you'll need to break the aggregation and put the direct link between the PC and the server on a different subnet than the rest of the network. Then, your PC should talk to FreeNAS on that new address range and the rest of the network can use the existing address range.

Cheers,
Matt

Jared Stoker

Cadet
Thanks Matt, I did have that setup initially, but then it brings up another configuration problem. On my windows pc, I'll have 2 NICs, one for the main network and one direct to freenas. I'm not sure how to configure the windows box to default to the sfp+ connection over the main network... I suppose I could change the metric on the NICs?

chris crude

Patron
Thanks Matt, I did have that setup initially, but then it brings up another configuration problem. On my windows pc, I'll have 2 NICs, one for the main network and one direct to freenas. I'm not sure how to configure the windows box to default to the sfp+ connection over the main network... I suppose I could change the metric on the NICs?
Why would you want it on the main network if it is direct connect to your FreeNAS? You access your NAS with its new IP of the SFP connection, not the old IP of the main network.

For example...

FreeNAS Regular NIC = 192.168.100.51
PC Regular NIC = 192.168.100.101

PC SPF+ NIC = 192.168.155.101
FreeNAS SPF+ NIC = 192.168.155.51

All the other devices on your network = 192.168.100.nnn

slowfreenas.yournetwork.com = 192.168.100.51

fastfreenas.yournetwork.com = 192.168.155.51

So, when talking to FreeNAS from your PC, use the fastfreenas name or the specific IP address assigned to FreeNAS. All other devices will communicate with slowfreenas.

Cheers,
Matt

Jared Stoker

Cadet
Fixed it. I removed the sfp+ connection from the lagg, assigned a new ip in a different subnet, then on the windows box I mapped the network drive to the \\sfp ip address\share

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Fixed it. I removed the sfp+ connection from the lagg, assigned a new ip in a different subnet, then on the windows box I mapped the network drive to the \\sfp ip address\share
Perfect

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.