Launch Docker Image with external NIC (how to disable eth0 default?)

Intel

Explorer
I'm trying to spin up a container that has a single network interface (the bridge interface I added on the configuration panel).

What I am seeing is that my container has two networks, but the TrueNAS Core UI doesn't show 2 networks. Just the 1 'External interface' I added... there should be a button somewhere to disable the default docker network, no? but I digress.

Does anyone has any guidance on how I can reconfigure my container which currently is spinning up with a default 'eth0' virtual nic in addition to 'net0' which I added manually? I only want 'net0' to exist, so all my internet connections go thru it. I haven't found a way to blacklist eth0 traffic to avoid leaking towards the internet.

Intel

Explorer
After some more searching on this forum I see mention of kubernetes 'networkPolicies' - is this the place where I can block this pod/app from being able to reach the internet thru the kubernetes NIC?

As I said, I am successful at having the pod/app having 2 virtual NICs (one kubernetes native 172.16.0.0/16 and my TrueNAS br666 vlan nic), I basically want to blackhole kubernetes NIC on this pod/app so all internet connectivity uses the other NIC. It doesn't seem there is an easy straightforward way to setup this 'killswitch' or 'whitelist only network traffic' for the default 172.16.0.0 nic

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Many apps have a separate administration interface and a service interface.... does this Aop not have that?
I'd suggest describing the App.. maybe there's some community experience that might be useful.

Intel

Explorer
Many apps have a separate administration interface and a service interface.... does this Aop not have that?
I'd suggest describing the App.. maybe there's some community experience that might be useful.

So I launched a custom 'docker' instance app - an linux image that has network tools so I could learn how the networking stack of apps work. It's this one: https://hub.docker.com/r/nicolaka/netshoot

I also tried the 'qbittorrent' official app - I wanted the app to use TrueNAS Core interface br666 (bridge of 'vlan666@eth0' of the truenas host) but the official app doesn't offer any advanced networking options... the "Launch Docker Container" does give me it.

The only feature missing from "Launch Docker Container" menu is that there is no toggle to disable the container default NIC that it creates when it launches a container for me... but funny enough it launches the container with any number of custom network interfaces I want :P

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So I launched a custom 'docker' instance app - an linux image that has network tools so I could learn how the networking stack of apps work. It's this one: https://hub.docker.com/r/nicolaka/netshoot

I also tried the 'qbittorrent' official app - I wanted the app to use TrueNAS Core interface br666 (bridge of 'vlan666@eth0' of the truenas host) but the official app doesn't offer any advanced networking options... the "Launch Docker Container" does give me it.

The only feature missing from "Launch Docker Container" menu is that there is no toggle to disable the container default NIC that it creates when it launches a container for me... but funny enough it launches the container with any number of custom network interfaces I want :P
It is assumed the default interface is used for administration of the docker app... add extra network interfaces for any services needed.

TempleHasFallen

Dabbler
I'm also seeing that all outgoing traffic from apps is going through the SCALE IP and not the external interface one, which is extensively bad for classifying network traffic if having many clients...
Any update on your ticket @Intel ? Its private therefore I can't view it

Intel

Explorer
I'm also seeing that all outgoing traffic from apps is going through the SCALE IP and not the external interface one, which is extensively bad for classifying network traffic if having many clients...
Any update on your ticket @Intel ? Its private therefore I can't view it
iX hasn't triaged the bug yet. Someone did comment shortly after you posted this asking the ticket to be marked public.