LACP not working on 11.3 u3.2

TidalWave

Explorer
Hey Guys,

I’m on version 11.3 U3.2 and the LACP isn’t working across Chelsio ports. When I go to lag them together one of them says “none”. I’m not sure if that’s a problem or not. I have a super micro server chassis.

I’m using a dell s4810 switch. And I configured the port channel to use LACP active.

The port channel never comes online when configured with LACP mode active. However if I configure the Lag with just a static port channel (not LACP) then the port channel comes up, but I can’t ping or see the NAS.

If I assign both interfaces on the freenas chelsio card an IP and then connect them to standard access ports on the dell switch then both links work and I can ping and mount the NAS. So my SFPs are working and it’s not a hardware problem.

So then I started to get desperate and I tried round robin, load balancing methods instead of LACP on the freenas. These methods would allow the port channel to come up, but the performance was less than 1 gig. By the way I’m trying to link two 10 gig ports.

Anyways, I’m thinking I must be doing something wrong or the newest freenas build has an LACP bug.

The below article is how I setup the switch to use all three methods, LACP static, active and passive. None work with LACP enabled on the freenas.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Did you remember to enable spanning-tree portfast on the switch side?

TidalWave

Explorer
Yes I did enable port fast. I also just waited for a while. When in LACP static mode the dell switch I could see the interface come up. But couldn’t ping the NAS. When in LACP active mode, the link never came up. Even if I forgot to enable port fast, after 45 seconds the port should still come up, right?

Samuel Tai

Did you create the lagg interface in the FreeNAS GUI or via CLI? Also, with multi-vendor LAGs, I've sometimes had to hard-code the speed on both sides to get things to work.

Last edited:

TidalWave

Explorer
I tried to create the lagg interface both ways, via the CLI and the GUI. Neither way would work. To hard set the speed, do I set the speed on the port channel interface on the switch, or each individual interface on the switch?

Also, how would I hard-code the speed on the FreeNAS box?

Samuel Tai

On the switch side, try setting the speed both ways. On the FreeNAS side, that would be via ifconfig additional parameters entered in the Options line under the MTU setting. Typically, this is the media parameter for the speed, and mediaopts parameter for the duplex.