LACP not created, FreeNAS stopped there

Status
Not open for further replies.

risardi

Cadet
Dear,

I wondered if anyone had an issue with teaming network port with LACP. I have a Dell T610 with HP NC364T Quad-Port PCIE GBE who doesn't seem to like LACP formed. Everytime I created Link Aggregation it ended up like the following screen. I thought I post this issue before I attempted to use the 9.3 to test.

I am planning to use this server with VMWare ESXi 6 for a demo and lab.

Thank you for your quick attention.

Picture:
open

risardi

Cadet
I thought the Pic link is working, here is the screen shot.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 279

Nick2253

Wizard
Are you sure you are having an issue with LACP? It looks like the DHCP client is restarting with the interface changes. I might be mistaken, but that doesn't look like an error to me.

risardi

Cadet
Neah, the screen always shows that after my attempt to create link aggregation. It is possible because the network card is connected to a different subnet so when it boots it also accepts IP. It does make sense if the DHCP client stopped when I made link aggregation however I am accessing the UI from another subnet attached to Dell-owned gigabit. I was thinking, just maybe creating the aggregation f...ed up the connection which is why I connected it though another subnet.

Thank's for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

risardi

Cadet
Okey, yeap, I'm using 9.3 Stable, it formed the link aggregation easily, now it's running happily. Apparently I need to move on to 9.10 as 9.3 is no longer supported.

Wish me luck.

risardi

Cadet
Hello all again,

Apparently, I downloaded version 9.10 U6, similar problem. Basically once I attempted link aggregation either way, the web UI is completely gone including the one I set up from a different subnet on different network interface.

The only fix is to Reset to Default but link agg remains not working.

Would anyone happily share your thoughts on this, or should I run back to unsupported version 9.3.

Thank you.

Nick2253

Wizard
Can you fully describe your setup/configuration? Including all NICs, what IPs you are trying to use, and your switch?

risardi

Cadet
Hi,

I'm almost giving up 'cause I think some hardware-level networking don't seem to work properly. Here is my setup:
Dell T610, 2.2 GHz Quad Core
24GB RAM
2x internal Broadcom Ethernet
1x Quad port HP Gigabit Ethernet PCIE.
6x 2TB SATA
2x 120GB SSD SATA

One of Broadcom is connected to 172.19.4.0/24, 3 of the Quadport is connected to 172.18.4.0/24 The 172.18.4.0/24 is ESXi network comprised of LACP-configured 2x VMWare Host of HP 350G6 and a storage server. All LACP is connected via Cisco 3750 and 2750 configured as LACP with source destination IP protocol. This storage server was used to windows 2012-based storage however due to a project I must remove the motherboard of this box and replace it temporarily with (hopefully) FreeNAS (windows license is pricks these days, too lazy to call and lie for activation). This was supposed to be a replacement thus no basic networking changes.

There is however a DHCP on 172.18.4.0/24 as from time to time I brought client's server back to the office to test. While typing this reply, I reinstalled 11.1U1 and disabled DHCP on 172.18.4.0/24 but still enabled DHCP on 172.19.4.0/24, which yielded 172.19.4.51 as web UI access. I then proceeded to configure LAGG0 via console instead of web UI. All responses looked okay, web UI access was all displayed as 172.18.4.11, which is a static address. All default route, DNS etc was configured properly. By now, access to 172.19.4.51 is no longer available. Access to 172.18.4.11 was also unavailable. Ping to both address is not available.

Then I proceeded to reboot the box, everything seems to be okay then came the console main menu with web UI address. Again, an attempt to open the address was miserably failed.

Yesterday until this early morning version 9.3 do work well with LAGG was displayed, interface was configured, somehow web UI to 172.19.4.51 was inaccessible in return the LAGG interface that had 172.18.4.11 worked with mnuch faster access. I reckon this should be the end-result once the proper 11.1 is installed.

Another observation is this: when attempting to form LAGG in 11.1, the network port seemed to have to be connected to a switch, otherwise the formation also crashed. I did it initially to stop it from receiving DHCP.

FreeNAS is installed on Sandisk Cruzer. This USB flash is purchase by 5 pieces, three of them has been in the ESXi for more than 1 year now. Unless this is is a bad apple.

Now I am attempting to reset configuration to defaults, wish me luck. Let me know if there are steps that I might miss or hopefully my info here yielded some bugs in the version.

Thank you for prompt reply.

Regards,

risardi

Cadet
Hi all,

Neah, it remains not working. I have:
1. reset to defaults
2. updated the freenas
3. formed the link agg

the problem persisted: web UI displayed error at the top, the LAGG was not formed and most of all I lost both connection to web UI. I gotta to reset to defaults again to get the connection back.

I like to use the 9.3 version however the update link continuously showed error even though all networking is configured properly. I was only attempted to get the latest 9.3 updates as support was discontinued.

I think it just didn't work for the hardware I have.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.