Kubernetes clusters and API stability

Perry The Cynic

Dabbler
How should I think about the kubernetes cluster(-of-one) embedded in TrueNAS SCALE? Is it a feature that I can use, or is it an implementation detail I should stay away from? I'm not asking what I can do - I know my way around k8s. I'm asking what is supported.

Concrete questions:
Where is the kubernetes state stored? Is it part of the system configuration, or part of the system pool, or both? If I restore a configuration backup, what will happen to the cluster content? If I upgrade my TrueNAS SCALE system, will that wipe out the cluster and make a new one, or will it upgrade the cluster with my things still inside (and yes, I realize that might break them)? Which of these answers are API (stable)? :)

I'm sorely tempted to run some basic services inside the k8s cluster - Prometheus, Grafana, a bind server, a local package repository; that kind of thing. But will I shoot myself in the foot, stability wise, if I do? And yes, I realize there's a Prometheus "app", but come on... 1.0.47?

Thanks
-- perry

Perry The Cynic

Dabbler
Uh... ignore the Prometheus snark at the end. I misread the version stamp. [Carefully wiping egg off my face.]

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Where is the kubernetes state stored? Is it part of the system configuration, or part of the system pool, or both? If I restore a configuration backup, what will happen to the cluster content? If I upgrade my TrueNAS SCALE system, will that wipe out the cluster and make a new one, or will it upgrade the cluster with my things still inside (and yes, I realize that might break them)? Which of these answers are API (stable)?
Kubernetes config is stored (some networking setup, the designated pool, multus and kube-router CAs and tokens) in the config DB (in the boot pool, but also in config backups).

The rest of your kubernetes/apps "stuff" is in the designated pool.

All of that brings back the same cluster with a boot pool rebuild and a restored config (as long as your designated pool remains present and healthy).

Perry The Cynic

Dabbler
So a snapshot of the designated pool should suffice, if I restore the config from a backup there? That sounds... easy. (I think I'll go try that out while I still have my test scaffolding in the box...)

So how will the upgrade to Cobia work? What version of k8s does it run?

Thanks
-- perry

sretalla