Keyboard doesn't work correctly in the FreeNAS installation!

ZRG0908

Cadet
Once I get the FreeNAS iso loaded onto my USB stick, I go to the BIOS of my Biostar TA970 and try to select my USB stick as my bootable device. My problem here is that only my SSD and HDD for the actual storage are on the list. I've googled multiple times on how to fix this, but nothing works for me (of course). Since I couldn't find my USB stick on the list, I just closed out of the BIOS and it loaded the USB anyways...this kind of confuses me but it works so I'm not going to complain. Once I get to the first menu where you choose to load the FreeNAS installer, I make my choice by pressing [Enter] on my Corsair K68. I wait a minute then it loads me the gray menu with the blue background. This is where my problem begins. I try to choose 'Install/Upgrade' with [Enter], but nothing happens, so I try [Space] and it works. I'm presented with the menu to choose which drive I want to put FreeNAS on. I try to scroll down to my drive of choice, but the arrow keys don't work. I begin to press every key possible, then realize that random letters and numbers on my keyboard act as the enter key, yet the actual enter key doesn't do anything. I know that I am supposed to select a drive I want with the space key, then press enter but space IS enter!!! I am unable to scroll or even choose a drive! I've been trying to fix this for over two days now. Please do NOT try to help me by saying I have to buy PS/2 keyboard because I can't do that at the moment, and I would like to stay away from spending even more money than I already have. If you would like a list of my PC specs, go ahead and ask.

Redcoat

MVP

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Update your BIOS and hope it helps.

Check your BIOS for entries related to the keyboard and see if there's any help there.

Check your keyboard's manual to see if there are ways to change the keymapping. It may be expecting to "Work with Windows(tm)" and may not be initialized appropriately for a non-Windows OS.

Check to see if your keyboard has upgradeable firmware and see if there's an upgrade.

Install FreeNAS on some other system that has a more competent BIOS/keyboard. The big trick is simply getting it on the boot device to begin with. Once there, you can manage it via the web.

Borrow a decent keyboard from somebody. Keyboards are a commodity. Most of them work roughly correctly.

Spend $12 for a bargain basement keyboard and hope your problem is the Corsair. If not, spend good money on a real mainboard. We generally recommend Supermicro server boards because they are known to work correctly.

The problem on the PC platform is that lots of hardware is oriented towards Windows. A good amount of it will not work correctly, or even at all, on a non-Windows operating system. Picking random components (perhaps that you had on hand) is not guaranteed to work.

ZRG0908

Cadet
Thanks to both of you for the help, I guess I can check out my BIOS and keyboard for updates. If that doesn't work, I will just have to purchase a cheap PS/2 keyboard. I didn't want it to come to that, but it's okay if that's the only solution.