Kernel Panic on HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 on zpool import

tonemgub

Cadet
On December 4th, I took the machine offline for the annual de-dusting. Made sure everything was working fine, all drives green on SMART, etc. Booted it back up, and pool1 would not unlock (I use FreeNAS 11.3-U5 with "Legacy Encryption"), instead the entire NAS would drop off the network. I hooked up a monitor and keyboard and saw that it was a kernel panic on zfs import.

I've tried going as far back as FreeNAS 11.1 and as far forward as TrueNAS 12.0 using different USB sticks each time. The problem persists, my data is locked behind this kernel panic. Seems similar to https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/kdb-enter-panic-when-importing-zfs.78563/

Steps to reproduce:

1. Unlock Both of my RAID1 Drives via: geli attach -k my.key -p ada2p2 && geli attach -k my.key -p ada3p2
2. Run: zpool import pool1. - Says pool may already be in use by another system on Dec. 4th, says to try -f
4. zpool import -f pool1
5. Kernel PANIC! -> https://i.imgur.com/fCNAO0F.jpg

(The same occurs from WebUI, only the kernel panic cannot be seen)

I haven't been able to see all of the kernel panic, but hopefully the attached helps. It reboots before getting a /data/crash log.
In the event loading the pool is not possible due to this bug, how might I go about mounting the individual drives? As they are RAID1 redundant I believe the data is still there. The drives themselves still appear to be fine. I do need to get this data back as FreeNAS contains my computer backups.

tonemgub

Cadet
I worked around this issue thanks to several old posts:

Press Esc on Boot -> Enter Shell.
set vfs.zfs.recover=1
set vfs.zfs.debug=1
boot
wait....
Press 9 to drop to shell
geli attach -k my.key -p ada2p2 && geli attach -k my.key -p ada3p2
zpool import -f -F pool1

Pool mounted to /pool1. Now I am rsyncing everything over to newly created pool, the recovery only lost 10 seconds of data which is way better than loosing terabytes worth of backups.