Just reinstall (12.0 - 13.0)?

opensourceFTW

Explorer
I was gone for a long time due to a business trip. My trueNAS server was off the whole time. Once I got back I tried to access it with my saved links from /etc/fstab but nothing would work. I am able to manually mount it but that is annoying. I downloaded 13 and tried to due a manual update but it failed.

Should I just reinstall trueNAS? I saved my config file...

ChrisRJ

Wizard
With that information we can only guess what is going on.

Are you using a Linux box to access the NAS? If so, which one? Did you recently upgrade any related programs?

If you can access the NAS, albeit not like you are used to, what makes you think the problem is with the NAS and not the client?

How exactly are accessing the NAS now?

opensourceFTW

Explorer
Yes I am using Ubuntu 20.04. I can access the NAS with sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.758:/mnt/trueNAS/HomeNAS /mnt but that puts in into my mnt folder for my current session. Auto mounting used to work before my business trip. I reinstalled Ubuntu when I got back so it must be the NAS that is having problems. My NAS is out of date anyway. I tried to update it, it failed. I tried manually update it, it failed again. I can reach the admin console but TrueNAS says it cannot connect to the update server.

Unable to connect to url https://update-master.ixsystems.com/TrueNAS/trains.txt: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings. I can view the URL if I click on the link.

My listed IP address is fake.

opensourceFTW

Explorer
Also, I do not have much experiance with TrueNAS. I setup my NAS a few months before my business trip so I am learning again.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unable to connect to url https://update-master.ixsystems.com/TrueNAS/trains.txt: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings. I can view the URL if I click on the link.

Usually, the inability to connect to the update server is due to one or more of the following:
  • Missing or incorrect default gateway in TrueNAS config
  • Incorrect subnet mask in TrueNAS config
  • Missing or incorrect DNS servers in TrueNAS config
Less commonly, this can also be due to
  • Down proxy server
  • Accidental firewall block of either the TrueNAS server or the remote update URL

opensourceFTW

Explorer
How long should the update take? My server fans having been running on full throttle for over 2 hours. Using the static IP I cannot reach my NAS.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What's your hardware? I've seen this happen with some BIOSes not properly implementing ACPI restarts.

NugentS

MVP
no - it should be the address of your router, on the same network as the TN server