BUILD Just built one - quite impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadikhov

Cadet
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, so forgive me if i am not playing by all rules.

Just wanted to report on my new FreeNAS built and ask couple of questions.

A bit of quick history: I had a desktop/server which was running ESX, but since i no longer needed it, i decided to use some parts that i had for my home NAS/SAN built. The parts that i decided to use from the server were:
HDD: 3x 1TB Samsung 32MB Cache - SATA II 7200rpm
RAM: 2x2Gb DDR3 G.Skill memory

The remaining parts required some online research, so it took me two weeks to decide what i want and where I want to buy it. My key requirements were quiet, small, power efficient, quick network transfer rate, yet having enough power reserve for any future needs... and all under $240 AUD ($250US)
So these are the ingredients that I bought:
Intel G1610 Celeron Processor, 2.6GHz, LGA1155, Dual Core - $46.20
GIGABYTE GA-H77N-WIFI LGA Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - $117.81
Aywun MI-100 Mini-ITX Cube Case, 200W PSU - $47.36
Sandisk 8Gb thumb-drive - $10
Shipping $10

Probably a little overkill for my minimum requirements (as i am finding now), but was well within the budget given that I live in Austripoffalia.

It took me an hour or so to put it all together. FreeNAS booted very quickly. I have built a RAID5 on ZFS and created a CIFS shared folder. Then as a test, I decided to copy one large 1.9Gb movie file. It took only 15 seconds or less with the average writing speed of over 105GB/s. Wow! Then I moved the file back to the workstation and the speed was at around 100MB. This pretty much outperformed my existing Synology 211j NAS by 3 times!

I went as far as underclocking my CPU by reducing the multiplier from 26 to 16. This is as minimum as i could get with the multiplier. Then i enabled all the powersaving features provided by the board. Attempted to do another file transfer, yet as fast as before!

Next thing, out of curiosity I enabled ZFS deduplication feature on the volume and performed another test. The speed fluctuated between 65 and 70MB/sec, which is still impressive, but i disabled it, as capacity is not an issue now.

Both workstation and FreeNAS are connected to Billion 7800N ADSL Router (1Gb).

Now that i am generally happy with my build, i am looking for ways to fine-tune it, so I would appreciate if someone can advise me on the following:

1. Since performance is not a concern now, I'd like to push as much on power saving capabilities now. So, I am planning to further reduce the CPU frequency and see what's the minimum CPU power I can get away with without sacrificing the performance. Any thoughts/advice on how I should pursue this the right way?
2. In the disk properties, i have noticed 3 options HDD Standby, APM and Acoustic level. Currently I have set them to Always On, Level 1 and minimum. Is it optimal setup for minimum power consumption and noise reduction?
3. During FreeNAS boot, I noticed a message saying something like "4GB RAM only therefore, ZFS prefetch is disabled". Will i gain much of this prefetch feature if I double the RAM?
4. Any ways to measure power consumption by NAS?
5. Being a noob in ZFS, my question is, should i expect overall NAS performance degrade over time as I put more data on the volumes?
6. Any step-by-step guides explaining how to configure ISCSI volumes? I got lost in settings and after playing for half an hour I failed to represent a SAN disk to my workstation....

thanks in advance
SS

HolyK

Ninja Turtle

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Powerd will lower your CPU speed to something very very low. Far lower than you should consider for an underclock. Mine underclocks to 202Mhz when idle. It's important to keep in mind that if you underclock it too far it'll be very limited if you need the power later while powerd will up the CPU speed to full speed if its needed.

As for the question about your RAM and prefetch, I won't answer that because it's clearly explained in the manual and you just gave away the fact that you haven't read the manual. So go read the manual :)

Status
Not open for further replies.