SOLVED Jellyfin playback error on TrueNAS Core

simos.sigma

Dabbler
Hello TrueNAS community!!! :smile:

First of all I would like to inform you that I am totally newbie with this "TrueNAS" staff so please be patient with me, I'm still learning.

Intro: Well I decided to convert a very old PC into a server 100% for home use. In order to test that this particular system can meet the requirements of "TrueNAS Core" and what I want to do, I tentatively placed a 120GB SSD as a system disk, a 500GB HDD as a pool disk, and I installed "TrueNAS Core" on the SSD.

After reading the necessary instructions and doing various tests regarding "TrueNAS Core", I then made the necessary final settings regarding storage, pools, datasets, etc. and proceeded to install the "Jellyfin" community plugin. I added the user ID "868" to any dataset (with ACL permissions) I wanted "Jellyfin" to access, I set Jellyfin's mount points, I created a movie library which contained two or three movies just for testing, I tried to play the movies, on my main computer and also on two "Chromecast" devices I have and everything worked flawlessly.

After seeing that this particular system can handle what I want to do, I installed another 128GB SSD, removed the 500GB HDD and replaced it with a 4TB HDD. So now I have two 120GB SSDs and a 4TB HDD. I cleaned up all three drives, to be completely empty, I reinstalled "TrueNAS Core" on first SSD, I set the second SSD as the pool for my plugins and the 4TB HDD as the pool for my media files.

The issue: I reinstalled "Jellyfin", I followed exactly the same steps as the first time, I created a movie library again which contained the same two or three movies just to test, I tried to play the movies but now I got this message: "Playback Error - This client isn't compatible with the media and the server isn't sending a compatible media format."!!!

I searched but I didn't find something that solved my problem. Then I started looking into the Jellyfin's settings. I noticed that in "Dashboard" > "Playback" > "Transcoding" of "Jellyfin", the "FFmpeg path" field is empty!!! And I remembered that the first time I did the first installation this field was saying "ffmpeg".

I searched and I found that in the "FFmpeg path" field I should set the "/usr/local/bin/lffmpeg" path. I did it and now it gives me this message: "We're unable to find FFmpeg using the path you've entered. FFprobe is also required and must exist in the same folder. These components are normally bundled together in the same download. Please check the path and try again."!!! I searched the internet again but couldn't find something...

Any idea what should I do? Is the "FFmpeg path" the problem after all?

The system I installed "TrueNAS Core" on contains the following:
MB: 4Core1600Twins-P35
LAN: Onboard 1000baseT
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 6GiB
VGA: GeForce 9500GT
Drives: 120GB SSD (System disk with 16GB swapped), 120GB SSD (plugins pool) and 4TB HDD
TrueNAS Core Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3
Jellyfin Version: 10.8.10_2

It seems strange to me because in the second installation I did exactly what I did in the first. Both for TrueNAS and for Jellyfin.

Thank you for your time!!!

You'll have better future use if you manually create your own jail, rather than use the "Plugin".

"Plugins" on TrueNAS Core are deprecated and no longer recommended.

simos.sigma

Dabbler
You'll have better future use if you manually create your own jail, rather than use the "Plugin".

"Plugins" on TrueNAS Core are deprecated and no longer recommended.
Do you mean to create my own jail for "Jellyfin"? How can I do this? And how can I do this if "Jellyfin" plugin isn't installed?

sretalla