Jails being removed from FreeNAS 9.1_RELEASE user interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I remember pre-8.2 there were so many people asking about the jail all the time in forums. It was a weekly occurrence if not more frequent. The wolves were circling for the RC of 8.2 with jail support back in the days of 8.0.4. I remember. I was one of those wolves.

Then 8.2 was released to much fanfare. A lot of people left NAS4Free(the developers have made it clear a jail will never be part of NAS4Free) because of our new jail support. People fell in love with jails and started doing all sorts of stuff with them.

Then with 8.2 alot of people poured development resources into plugins. Even now quite a few people are experimenting with the 9.1 plugins despite the lack of documentation.

Surely we aren't doing something crazy like removing jails after the RC has been released, right? That's kind of like, a BIG deal after a RC has been released. There's plenty of tickets that are being pushed back to 9.2 because FreeNAS is at RC status and we don't want to do big changes.. but removing jail support from the GUI? I'd call that a "very big change". We're at RC. Who does that? I think a lot of people are going to start sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches if this is for real. (Can anyone say "fork"?)

Someone please tell me this is some April fools joke...and hopefully that "someone" is someone with decision making potential...

So why are we removing a feature of FreeNAS that is used so much that it has its own section in the forums? (https://github.com/freenas/freenas/commit/13d98052dce9571f3bf7d89537bfb3c0b0b9c228)

Krutet

Dabbler
Where do you see this information? I'm using 9.1 RC now and the jails are there..

edit: nevermind, I now saw the link..

Skickat från min Nexus 4 via Tapatalk 2

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. if that commit is for real(which so far nobody is saying a word so I think they're all scurrying to hide from the reality of this) then the jails will be gone when 9.1 comes out. By gone I don't mean it no longer exists. But the GUI will no longer have the "jail" button. Plugin installation.. CLI. Plugin setup.. CLI. Plugin troubleshooting... CLI.

EVERYTHING related to the jail will be command line. For those of you that don't know the FreeBSD CLI... you're in serious trouble...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Kind of interesting, but probably not as big a deal as you think. I had already been frustrated by the annoying "warden" stuff in an earlier attempt to experiment. I'm no stranger to the jail facility and have lots of minimalist jail engineering under my belt. With access to init/shutdown scripts, you can do as you please anyways.

Removing it from the visible GUI might just be a way of making it an "unofficial/unsupported" bonus feature.

Krutet

Dabbler
But why? Isn't the jail/plugins what's making freenas great with torrents, dlna and the maybe upcoming plex media server and all other. And it gotta be kinda easy to fix for the normal user or else people will start to abandon?

Skickat från min Nexus 4 via Tapatalk 2

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I haven't seen any sign that the features are being removed, it looks like just being hidden.

cyberjock may be making a bit much out of it. If the feature is causing problems, and basically I think it has been problematic since the beginning, it may make more sense to put it on the back burner until after the major version bump has passed.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

I took a look at the docs and it looks like the entire section on the jails has been removed.

Use the "history" tab up on the top of the main docs page & see for yourself.

-Will

J

jkh

Surely we aren't doing something crazy like removing jails after the RC has been released, right? ...
So why are we removing a feature of FreeNAS that is used so much that it has its own section in the forums? (https://github.com/freenas/freenas/commit/13d98052dce9571f3bf7d89537bfb3c0b0b9c228)

Worry not - they were simply hidden for a few days while we worked out some last UI changes (see the wave of plugin UI related commits). They'll be coming back in time for the next release candidate image!

- Jordan

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well. Look what the cat dragged in, if it isn't jkh ...

Welcome back to the world of FreeBSD. We missed you. How was your time at Apple?

Yatti420

Wizard
But oddly the 9.1.1 release does change the way source/destination storage for jails are added from GUI..

Status
Not open for further replies.