Jail to perform monitoring tasks of other servers (ping etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I realise no plugin for this exists and I think I asked about something like this 18 months ago, but I knew a lot less then.

Is there some FreeBSD software or linux (BSD can run some linux stuff or all of it, right?) which I can install and configure, preferably web based that will just do basic "monitoring stuff"

Say, pinging about 10 to 30 servers. I don't even think I NEED notifications (I'd like em) but I'd love to pull up a little console now and then, when my network is 'weirding out' on me and see "ahh ok, this is fine, that's not, this is ok"

Any ideas? I can't imagine it would use a lot of power to do it.

gt2416

Patron
Maybe guacamole is what your looking for ? Its a web based software that you can run console, vnc, rdp sessions etc. Check it out

diskdiddler

Wizard
I am going to! thank you

Can someone please help me though.
I am still learning here.

I am making a jail per program to test. Jails will be
smokeping, cacti, guacamole and ntopng
(I dunno I'm just trying to learn)

Should I be installing 11.2-RELEASE or 11.1-RELEASE when I configure the jail?

Also, should I ALWAYS pkg update, pkg upgrade in my jails?

diskdiddler

Wizard
By the way, what I mostly want is a dashboard which lets me see the ping of multiple IPs (which I, manually configure)
I believe some kind of ping plotter, web based, simple. Reliable.

I wanna add like I dunno 25 ips
My router, my HTPC, 3 systems on the net I manage (just the router IP is fine)

etc?

diskdiddler

Wizard
Ok does anyone know how to get smoke ping working?

gt2416

Patron
Last edited:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Hey GT:

Thanks for this, I've messed around and just about got it working.
Not your fault...... but wow.
Smokeping, awfully old school and complicated to configure, really feels un-necessary in 2018 to be manually editing text files to add new hosts. Can I do it? Yes. Should we have to nowadays? Good lord no.

I don't suppose you know any other apps, similar as well? I'm going to keep working on making monitoring stuff and trying to eek out smokeping properly, but a little frustrating to be so cumbersome to work with.

Would've have liked to add an ip and also be able to adjust the threshold of pings easily.
Still, it's a good start.

gt2416

Patron
LOL thats exactly what I thought when I tried it. I dont have any other suggestions, I only knew about smokeping after you asked and tried it, I absolutely HATE the interface.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I messed some more, got 4 servers pinging - but the lack of fine controls is crazy.

It reminds me of a linux application from 1998 or something, back when people used to whine about linux. Open source / bsd / linux has come a long long way, look at FreeNAS. I'm kinda shocked apps like this still exist.

(One of the reasons my Desktop is still Windows - because if I want a finicky little app for something, it's not like working back in the dark ages)

I'll keep hunting, at least once it's setup it seems good to go.

diskdiddler

Wizard

sretalla