Jail portsupgrade fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhop

Cadet
I run a portsupgrade every month or so on my plex jail to make sure it is running the latest version. Today it threw some errors.

I have a script called updatePlex.sh that I run.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

portsnap fetch update
portupgrade -ay
service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart

It is basic but it does the job.

I have attached the output of the script. I have tried a number of options to try and fix it but none of them seem to work.

Build FreeNAS-11.1-U4 Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1541 @ 2.10GHz Memory 65395MB

Attachments

• update.txt
    115.8 KB · Views: 264

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well this jumps out at me, sir:
Code:

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

Also, it doesn't look like it's plex that's failing, but something called harfbuzz.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
...so it's a warden jail, built with the 11.0 template, which is now inexplicably EOL'd by the FreeBSD crew.
That's looks to be the situation.

jrhop

Cadet
This was a new install in November 2017. I just logged in after it was installed and made the jail. It was a fresh 11.1 install. If the warden jail is an old template is there a way to convert it. How to I get a new jail to be a non-warden jail?

jrhop

Cadet
Well this jumps out at me, sir:
Code:

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

Also, it doesn't look like it's plex that's failing, but something called harfbuzz.

I understand that it is not plex that is failing but nothing was failing before March 2018 and now there are a number of items failing.

danb35

Hall of Famer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If the warden jail is an old template is there a way to convert it.
No.
How to I get a new jail to be a non-warden jail?
Create a new iocage jail via the CLI. I personally wouldn't use the new GUI in the stable release yet it still has waay too many bugs, creating a functioning jail being one of them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Create a new iocage jail via the CLI.
...which is also broken. Right now there's no supported way to create a jail (that actually works) with a FreeBSD release that isn't EOL'd. But some tinkering at the CLI will fix the iocage networking problem:
Code:
cd /tmp
git clone --recursive https://github.com/iocage/iocage
cp -R iocage/iocage/lib/ /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/iocage/lib

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Right now there's no supported way to create a jail (that actually works) with a FreeBSD release that isn't EOL'd.
You can create a 11.1 jail via the CLI and it works.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can create a 11.1 jail via the CLI and it works.
An iocage jail? Not in 11.1-U3 or -U4; you'll get networking errors unless you do what I indicated above. It works in 11.1-U2 though.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I stand corrected, thanks for the tip.

ETA: At least this is fixed in the nightlies. Jail creation from the GUI does work but I did have to check the "VirtIO Virtual Networking" box to get a working network connection after creating the jail.

Last edited:

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This is why I'm still on 9.10

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I love my FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427 (64fcd8e), going to be quite a while before I even think about changing. Of course, I still prefer Win 7 over Win 10 too so not to sure what that says about me... ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
I still prefer Win 7 over Win 10 too so not too sure what that says about me.
That says you're an entirely sensible user. Win10 isn't awful, but I still prefer 7. For FreeNAS, well, I'm mostly current.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Same here. I'll see what 11.2 brings and will likely upgrade then since I have a couple internet facing jails and FreeBSD 10.3 is nearly EOL.

pschatz100

Guru
I created a new jail under FreeBSD11.1u4 using iocage and it works OK. However, I did it by hand via the CLI, not through the new user interface. The new user interface sees the jail, which is good. However, I do not have confidence in using the new user interface to create jails.

Be certain you are using FreeNAS 11.1u4. The version of iocage in this release is v1.0 Alpha - so there might be some "undocumented behaviors", but this is the best version of iocage so far. And be careful to use the latest documentation for iocage. There are some posts out there pointing to old versions. You want to avoid those.

For jails that do not need updates, you might want to stay on Warden for now as @Jailer suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.