Itermittent network disconnect

Noé

Cadet
Hello, I have a network problem on my truenas core NAS. After a classic boot, the NAS boots correctly and the online console is normally available. However, after a few minutes, the online console and SMB shares are no longer available. It then comes back for a few minutes and does not work again, it is intermittent.
I have only one network port, with a static ip. The NAS is connected by my internet box via an Ethernet switch.
Could someone please enlighten me? (maybe with more details about my configuration?)

Truenas version : TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1
Motherboard : MSI B85I
CPU : Intel i5-4440
RAM : 8GB
Network interface : from the motherboard

[mod note: moved from Storage forum to Networking]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
From the motherboard's product page

LAN

• 1 x Realtek® 8111G Gigabit LAN controller

That's a whole five letters worse than the RTL8111L!

In all seriousness, get a proper Intel NIC and stop using Realtek.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Two things.

Your board has a Realtek 8111 ethernet controller. These are known to be problematic. Please refer to

Also,

Truenas version : TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1
RAM : 8GB

TrueNAS CORE has a minimum memory requirement of 16GB.

truenas-16gb.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is that an obscure Futurama reference?

But no, just a joke at the expense of Realtek's alphabet soup of RTL8111 variants.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is that an obscure Futurama reference?

S01E07, a bit less than four minutes in:

Fry: Oh, what's this?

Back alley guy: Ah, it's X-Ray eye. See through anything.

Fry: Wait a minute, this says Z-Ray.

Back alley guy: Z is just as good. In fact, it's better. It's two more than "X."

Fry: Hmm, I can see where that would be an advantage. Do you take cash?

It'd be a great reference both because of the letters and because I suspect lots of Realtek parts are sold in back alleys in Shenzhen.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did you just rewatch Season 1 at 2x speed trying to find a reference?

That said, I should have remembered that one.
It'd be a great reference both because of the letters and because I suspect lots of Realtek parts are sold in back alleys in Shenzhen.
And the deal with Realtek is "Ok, you get NIC now, driver come next week".

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Did you just rewatch Season 1 at 2x speed trying to find a reference?

No. Years of data center work have left me with (mild?) tinnitus. I also have a relatively complex custom system that processes media and extracts the subtitle tracks which then get OCR'd into srt format, so as it turns out I can easily grep.

Code:
root@nas1:/mnt/storage1/Video/Meta/TV/Futurama/Subs # grep -i "z-ray" *
s01e07.en.srt:THIS SAYS "Z-RAY."

I tend to indulge my OCD'ish tendencies so there's lots of interesting stuff in my subtitle collection that generally doesn't exist anywhere else, as I tend to be driven nuts by obvious errors. Some other stuff, like Young Justice, where I dug up Zatanna's backwards spells and put them in, instead of "[Foreign language]" or whatever the original subtitlers had put in. I find commercial subtitle companies tend to make lots of mistakes and many clearly don't bother to understand the material, even within a single episode.