iSCSI Service Doesn't Start on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

pamiller3

Dabbler
Hey all,
I have had a rash of power outages at my house and when my freenas box reboots the iSCSI service will not start on bootup like I have checked. I try a to just start the service, but it fails. The solution each time I go to my interfaces and edit both interface's option field to either show "mtu=9000" or "mtu 9000". I simply toggle between the two options. After that I tell the service to start up and it works. Mind you I do all this via the webui so I don't have errors or logs. So if you can tell me where to get the logs to share I would gladly do so.
Thank you for any help,
Andy

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hey all,
I have had a rash of power outages at my house and when my freenas box reboots the iSCSI service will not start on bootup like I have checked. I try a to just start the service, but it fails. The solution each time I go to my interfaces and edit both interface's option field to either show "mtu=9000" or "mtu 9000". I simply toggle between the two options. After that I tell the service to start up and it works. Mind you I do all this via the webui so I don't have errors or logs. So if you can tell me where to get the logs to share I would gladly do so.
Thank you for any help,
Andy
Get a UPS.
Why are you using Jumbo Frames?

pamiller3

Dabbler
Get a UPS.
Why are you using Jumbo Frames?

I don't have a UPS, because these power outages are not a normal occurrence, I am cheap, and this is just a home lab.
I am using Jumbo Frames for testing for a traditional iSCSI setup.

I am not really a fan of answers like these, not really answering the problem, but instead avoiding the issue at all costs. Sorta reminds me of an experience where you are at a restaurant and your steak comes out rare and you ask for medium. You simply ask for some help in fixing the issue as medium was an option on the menu and instead the waiter says "Why in the world would you want it medium in the first place?". I am really just looking for a solution to a service not booting, not a crusade into why I am using the option that is common for iSCSI or purchasing a UPS.

Thank you for your time

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I am cheap
Not a good excuse. You are putting all your hardware at risk. Get a UPS.

I run an iSCSI mount and it restarts when the system restarts. If you didn't fiddle with the jumbo frames, you probably wouldn't have any problem either.
I am using Jumbo Frames for testing for a traditional iSCSI setup.
What makes you think that is "traditional", the Jumbo Frames part?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sorta reminds me of an experience where you are at a restaurant and your steak comes out rare and you ask for medium.
It is more like someone using a flat tip screwdriver to turn a phillips head screw. You might be able to do it, but that doesn't make it right.

pamiller3

Dabbler
Linked below is a white paper from VMWare. On page 9 is why using jumbo frames can increase throughput and thus performance with iSCSI.
https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/...whitepaper/iscsi_design_deploy-whitepaper.pdf

Another article on why to recommend jumbo frames up front in a setup:
http://longwhiteclouds.com/2013/09/10/the-great-jumbo-frames-debate/

So again if we want to again keep up the analogies, I would think its more like a v6 over a v4 engine. But I would really like to drop the debate and look at the issue at hand.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I try a to just start the service, but it fails. The solution each time I go to my interfaces and edit both interface's option field to either show "mtu=9000" or "mtu 9000". I simply toggle between the two options. After that I tell the service to start up and it works.
As for the service not starting, that might actually merit a bug report.

Status
Not open for further replies.