ISCSI Cluster Shared Storage

UserSN

Dabbler
I'm created a file server using TrueNAS and I'm trying to share a zvol to multiple machines.
I tried configuring the ISCSI initiator for all 4 of my machines and the drive once formatted on one does show up on all machines but I don't think ISCSI is meant for multiple machines, i've been told that a possible work-around is to use cluster-shared storage. I don't want to use SMB.

Any thoughts on this?

hescominsoon

Patron
iscsi is not meant for multiple machine storage. It is meant to basiclaly emulate local storage to one machine not a group of them. If you do not want to use SMB then you can use NFS. Keep in mind windows likes smb and apple also likes smb now. NFS is more linux/unix based(it was developed by sun) so if you do not want to use SMB then you can wrestle NFS inside of windows*if you aren't using windows then nfs MIGHT work better).

UserSN

Dabbler
I understand this but how can one use cluster shared storage to share an ISCSI target with multiple computers it seems as though that is a valid path for my needs.

hescominsoon

Patron
I understand this but how can one use cluster shared storage to share an ISCSI target with multiple computers it seems as though that is a valid path for my needs.
You're trying to use ISCSI in a manner it's not designed to be used. You could wind up causing data corruption or file deletion or any number of nasty things trying to use ISCSI this way.

Forza

Explorer
You could see as iscsi emulates the sata/scsi cable between the computer (initiator) and hard drive (target). Even though you could share the same drive on multiple computers, no normal filesystem supports that.

You'd need to share files over smb/nfs.

What is it that you want to achieve?

UserSN

Dabbler
@Forza I'm trying to make a backup drive accessible to multiple servers so i can copy the root directory files into the common backup vdev.

Forza

Explorer
You probably want to export SMB or NFS in that case, or alternatively use rsync service.