BUILD Is this rig decent for FreeNAS + VMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byggare

Dabbler
I'd relly wanted IPMI/idrac just because its cool to have but as those parts are really expensive in sweden i've started looking into workstations as they are quiet! Would this work? Why/why not?

Dell Precision T7600 Xeon 2x E5-2620 32GB 1TB Quadro 2000
CPU: 2 st Xeon E5-2620 6-core 2Ghz base 2,5Ghz Turbo
Intel C600 Chipset
Ram: 32GB (4x8GB) max 512GB - ECC
GPU: Nvidia Quadro 2000
PSU:1300w PowerEdge
Raid card: PERC H310 SAS
Room for 4 3,5" - i plan on using 1 256gb ssd and 2* 8tb WD red

Is there anything i would need in addition to what is listed?

Thanks in advance!
B

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Dell Precision T7600
The chassis has a limited number of internal drive bays, but you may be alright with that depending on your storage needs and you can always connect an external SAS enclosure.
CPU: 2 st Xeon E5-2620 6-core 2Ghz base 2,5Ghz Turbo
No problem, but a little slow for my taste. Still, you can upgrade them to a faster processor later pretty easy and not super expensive.
Intel C600 Chipset
That is actually a fine chipset. No problem there.
Ram: 32GB (4x8GB) max 512GB - ECC
That is enough to start and you have room to grow.
GPU: Nvidia Quadro 2000
No real need for an advanced graphics card, but with no IPMI, you will need to monitor and keyboard to do the initial install before the Web GUI comes online and for troubleshooting if there is a problem. Also, the BIOS on this system is mouse enabled and much easier to navigate that way, so you might want to have a mouse connected.
PSU:1300w PowerEdge
Way more power than you will need, but we have some of these systems at work and they are platinum efficiency, so it will only use what it needs.
Raid card: PERC H310 SAS
You will need to flash that card with the IT mode firmware. We have a guide on the forum:

Detailed newcomers' guide to crossflashing LSI 9211 HBA and variants
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...o-crossflashing-lsi-9211-hba-and-variants.54/
Room for 4 3,5" - i plan on using 1 256gb ssd and 2* 8tb WD red
I would put that SSD in the CD bay and keep the 3.5 bays available for hard drives.
Is there anything i would need in addition to what is listed?
It should be a great system for you, but if your budget permits, I would go with 4 drives in a RAIDz2 pool instead of just two dives in a mirror. It might give you more capacity than you need now, but it will give you two drives of failure protection instead of just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.