Is this hardware enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keveye

Cadet
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a HP Gen 8 microserver with the following specs:

Intel Celeron G1610T Dual-Core (2.30GHz 2MB 35W) 4GB (1 x 4GB) PC3L-12800E 1600MHz UDIMM (Low Voltage) 4 x Non-Hot Plug 3.5in Dynamic Smart Array B120i No Optical 200W 1yr Warranty

The question is a) is the processor powerful enough, b) how much RAM will I need to upgrade to run the following simultaneously

a) ZFS (Raid 1)
b) Transmission
c) Couch Potato/Sickbeard
d) OpenVPN
e) IP camera software (Ubuntu Jail or set it up as a share)
f) possibly Plex (if performance allows)

thanks!

That CPU will be pushed to handle a lot of stuff. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G1610T+@+2.30GHz With it you will just squeak by with "A" through "D" and CIFS access but you probably won't be doing much gigabit speed. Once you add a VM or lots of access for camera's it will probably end up causing problems. Plex is a double edged sword, if zero transcoding is needed it is very efficient. Once a stream transcodes for ANY reason it's going to eat that cpu for breakfast and ask for a couple more.

FreeNAS needs a MINIMUM of 8GB of ram and for your wishlist (with a better CPU) I would say at least 16GB would be minimum. Without the e and f options you could squeak by with 8GB but don't expect great performance and if you have a lot of stuff in use it will have slowdowns.

Ubuntu would have to be setup as a VM with phpvirtualbox. Even then you may not be able to get it working. Seems like a lot of the newer *nix versions have a problem when it comes to the clocksource with the current version available.

keveye

Cadet
I appreciate your detailed response - very informative!

Is the ubuntu with phpvirtualbox for the IP cameras or would other software I've mentioned require it to run also? would I be better running a different distro for the IP cameras?

That CPU will be pushed to handle a lot of stuff. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+G1610T+@+2.30GHz With it you will just squeak by with "A" through "D" and CIFS access but you probably won't be doing much gigabit speed. Once you add a VM or lots of access for camera's it will probably end up causing problems. Plex is a double edged sword, if zero transcoding is needed it is very efficient. Once a stream transcodes for ANY reason it's going to eat that cpu for breakfast and ask for a couple more.

FreeNAS needs a MINIMUM of 8GB of ram and for your wishlist (with a better CPU) I would say at least 16GB would be minimum. Without the e and f options you could squeak by with 8GB but don't expect great performance and if you have a lot of stuff in use it will have slowdowns.

Ubuntu would have to be setup as a VM with phpvirtualbox. Even then you may not be able to get it working. Seems like a lot of the newer *nix versions have a problem when it comes to the clocksource with the current version available.

sremick

Patron
With just +Plex, you'd want 16GB minimum. With all that other stuff, you should be looking at 32GB minimum. More is better... you're tasking your NAS with a lot of non-NAS apps and processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.