Is this any good.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Hall UK

Cadet
Hi.
I've been "playing" with FreeNAS for a few weeks now, and I love it.. I use it to BACKUP all my stuff.. (I know what you're going to say about it not being a backup solution)

I copy all my important stuff up to Dropbox, and a separate external 1Tb USB Drive.. The data I have on FreeNAS, whilst would be missed, isn't life critical. It'd just be a pain if I lost it..

Anyways, I have an old Acer M3910 i3 with 3Gb RAM (Non-ECC) 4 x 2Tb giving 4Tb usable space..
It serves my 3 Kodi boxes around the house with ease, as well as other things/functions.

I'd like to start running a couple of VMs within FreeNAS, for example a Windows 7 VM so I can RDP in from the outside world, and connect to all the plugins/jails and other home networked devices. and a Zimbra installation.

Can I get your opinion of this?
http://compadvance.co.uk/en/item/352550/HP-Proliant-MicroServer-Gen8-G1610T-4GB
  • It has an internal SDCARD slot, for the FreeNAS installation.
  • ECC Memory, although limited to 8Gb.
  • iLo
  • 4 drive bays.
Would this be as stable as stable can get for the money, and considering the (non)importance of the data.

1 other quick question.. Would you run Freenas as the main OS, with VMs inside it, or install VMWare, and run FreeNAS from within that?

Thanks for your time in advance. (I'm a geek, so happy to talk tech.)

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Why is ECC in bold
I meant to bold the entire response... Was trying to let you know that the configuration you linked only showed 4GB of RAM when the minimum required is 8GB. As well, if you are going to want to run a couple of VMs then that will easily put you below 8GB. At the very least fill the thing to capacity (16 GB).

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I know what you're going to say about it not being a backup solution
Using FreeNAS as a backup destination for data that lives on other systems is entirely appropriate. Putting their only copy of important data on FreeNAS and not having a backup of that is where people go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.