SOLVED Is there a "zfs allow" equivalent in the GUI?

I'm reading guides on how to replicate from (source) a local ZFS snapshot ("local", on my computer) to (destination) my NAS on the network ("remote", on TrueNAS server), and many of them mention using "zfs allow" to give a non-root user permission to execute particular zfs commands.

However, making changes via the console on TrueNAS, as we know, is not persistent.

Is there an equivalent way of doing this in the GUI? Does a certain builtin "group" under the Accounts page apply this under the hood?

This concerns TrueNAS Core (not SCALE).

Another question on this topic: Is it only possible via the "root" user if the zfs send/recv destination is the TrueNAS server? (Which means using the /root/.ssh/ keys?)

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
making changes via the console on TrueNAS, as we know, is not persistent.
Changes to things that the config database is managing, true, but for things that are properties of a pool or ACLs, not so much, CLI is fine, for example, to set the hold property of a snapshot...

zfs allow would seem to me to be altering the pool properties, not something that would be messed up by settings from the config database.

What do you know! I figured "zfs allow" was something uniquely done on the live system. It actually does apply "allow [options]" to the dataset in the same way that "zfs set" permanently changes a property. That was easier than expected. Thanks and cheers!

alecz

Dabbler
What permissions did you allow to be able to send/receive snapshots?

EDIT: I found the permissions that work for me so I'm putting them here as a reference for both myself and others in the future:

create,destroy,receive,mount,refreservation,rollback
Code:
zfs allow myUser create,destroy,receive,mount,refreservation,rollback storage/backups

Last edited: