Is there a way to have a two-way sync between two datasets?

mikozee

Cadet
After having problems with permission on Truecharts Jellyfin on a dataset with SMB, I Googled for solutions and found one that I think could work.

Basically have a dataset dedicated to the app, and have files I need to view on those app sync to another dataset that has SMB so I can access it from Win10.

Searching for a method has come up with blanks. All the methods I've found are either one-way, or some other restriction.

Is there a way to do this natively, or an app that can do it?

Heracles

Wizard
Usually, rsync can do all modes : one-way, mirror, etc.

mikozee

Cadet
Usually, rsync can do all modes : one-way, mirror, etc.
I thought rsync was for two different servers, I remember reading it requires a host and remote server. I only have my home server, I'm just trying to sync two datasets within the same server. Can it be used within one server with two datasets?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I thought rsync was for two different servers,

This is incorrect. Omit the target hostname and just specify a pathname by itself, and rsync is very happy to work locally. This is often used in interesting ways by people who are looking for a smarter copy program for UNIX, as it can do creative stuff like symlink trees.

mikozee

Cadet
This is incorrect. Omit the target hostname and just specify a pathname by itself, and rsync is very happy to work locally. This is often used in interesting ways by people who are looking for a smarter copy program for UNIX, as it can do creative stuff like symlink trees.

Thank you.

Just for clarification, is rsync a one-time command, or a perpetual background process? If the former, is there a more suitable method for a two-way sync that's always running in the background?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
rsync is a one shot, just like UNIX cp or DOS xcopy. rsync does have a daemon mode where it can be set up as a server to listen for connections from clients, but it is not ongoing. Mostly used to set up cron-based hourly syncs or stuff like that, in combination with the over-the-network mode you referred to previously.

Bidirectional sync is a difficult task, and I've not found anything that is totally reliable. Around here, I've used unison for our bidirectional file replication needs, and I think there was something more recent that I had run across as a possible alternative, but I do not recall offhand, apologies. I'll hit "Post reply" and see if it pops into my head in a few seconds, heh.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Not sure sure where the original effort to have the same dataset shared via SMB and jellyfin failed?
@mikozee Can you explain?

Syncthing also has that bidirectional capability.

mikozee

Cadet
Not sure sure where the original effort to have the same dataset shared via SMB and jellyfin failed?
@mikozee Can you explain?

Syncthing also has that bidirectional capability.

The original dataset shared via SMB and Jellyfin is works. But I'm running into some permission issues within Jellyfin that I can't figure out (albeit, I am a total noob with Linux so maybe it's not an issue, I just messed something up). I tried setting myself as the owner, the 'apps' as the owner, and I've tried changing the UID settings, and nothing worked.

[This user seems to be having similar issues, so I'm trying out the workaround solution they posted at the very bottom](https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-scale-permission.98480/)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The original dataset shared via SMB and Jellyfin is works. But I'm running into some permission issues within Jellyfin that I can't figure out (albeit, I am a total noob with Linux so maybe it's not an issue, I just messed something up). I tried setting myself as the owner, the 'apps' as the owner, and I've tried changing the UID settings, and nothing worked.

[This user seems to be having similar issues, so I'm trying out the workaround solution they posted at the very bottom](https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/truenas-scale-permission.98480/)
You'll need to describe the symptoms and how the settings do or don't help..

somethingweird

Contributor
try looking lsyncd - a daemon to continuously synchronize directory trees. As for two way sync.. I don't know.. but at least it a step closer?