is there a way to grant a backup user full access to entire volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crwoo

Dabbler
Hi, I have a freenas that's around 20tb and I want to back it all up to tape. I understand that FreeNAS does not support tape backup and I dont know why. I have a 8 tape LTO5 autoloader that would be perfect for that. Some members here are running tape backups inside a jail, but that sounds a bit over my head. would probably be a my second option.

We have a backup server running that could backup all data to the autoloader if it was shared, so is there a way to create a backup user that has top level read access? lets say all the datasets in folders where the backup would reach in and back all the files? I tried without success. can anyone help me?
Thanks

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
How does the tape backup system access data to be backed up? I mean, can it do SFTP, or rsync, or what? Can you push to it, or is it pull only?

crwoo

Dabbler
Hi, the barracula software i am using seems to be pull only. Which to me sounds like it should be cool.
Perhaps there are backup software available that would support push on a tape drive.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
The basic idea would be to create a backup user that's a member of the same group(s) as the owner of each dataset you want to backup, and also grant group read access recursively on the entire contents of each dataset.

The problem is, if the software can only do, say, CIFS aka SMB, then you have to share every dataset you want to backup. Or maybe that isn't a problem, if all the data you want to backup is already shared.
can it do SFTP, or rsync, or what?
Also, what O/S does the tape backup software run on?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.