Is their an iXSystems TrueNas Alternative for a Light Home User of a DS2419+?

A Home User

Cadet
So I'm a non business, as in I'm just a guy, no business number, no business use case, and I'm thinking about the viability of switching from my Synology 2419+ to a Truenas system. My main reason for doing so is because I want an absurdly large if not unlimited cap on storage space as I have run into the 108TB volume limit of my current unit and would like to just have one large network folder rather than having to divide data amongst the various volumes.

In terms of why I am evaluating options outside of Synology, the main reason is the direction of the company what with the attempt at switching over to a proprietary drive only scheme for any model that has a capacity higher than mine.

Outside of that, I've completely loved my experience with this system, how easy it was to setup user profiles, and how *it just worked* the user experience was. No surprises, tons of convenient, automatically set settings or easy ways to implement scheduled reoccurring tasks etc. Not once did I have to look up an obscure command, visit a forum where it was expected that I read through code to figure out any issue, or anything like that. Those sort of holes in the experience also happens to be the reason, that while I have a full Unraid license, I am not really thinking about going this route. The lack of polish and basic features like snapshots and a recycling bin both showcase my big issues with the os, on top of a lack of any bitrot protection, correction or detection, and snapshots outside of hobbyist single person maintained plugins which can remain behind the current version for some time from what I gather.

I want a system that will run reliably and without too much effort in setup, policy management etc. A system that will provide at least a basic smb file server that gives me the confidence to not feel like I have to baby sit it. One where updates are thoroughly tested and can just happen automatically in the background with no fuss.

I imagine this system would be great while using the previously discussed unraid system as an absolutely basic backup destination of this solution due to its easy expandability. (Currently setup with an HBA in a tower system).

So to be clear, all I really want is as close to the experience I have now, with no future hard cap to run into. The majority of the time I have one user, just managing media and backup images. Only rarely are many small files moved accross. To this end, currently, my 10gbe connection between my nas and the main desktop which accesses it is just fine with 1gbe for the rest of the network, and it would mostly be 1 to 5 relatively large files being transferred at any given time.

That is all to say, Im pretty sure anything outside of the most basic Trunas setup is probably good enough to me. If there is opportunity enough to be able to run hardware accelerated linux and windows vms, great, but I would also be totally happy if it could just make me comfortable in the knowledge that I can upgrade the storage whenever I feel at a later date, even if it is more expensive upfront having to buy drives 8-12 at a time.

Ok, so all that said, and I appreciate this message was long, obviously the budget is what this comes down to. Now, if we are just talking a plain nas to store my data and transfer between basically 1 pc at 10gbe and a network at 1Gbe, I think the Truenas Mini R looks about what I would expect without drives. I generally was imagining this whole upgrade, including drives for at least 120TB of usable space at the start to cost around ~6K Canadian (4.5K USD) upfront (though this can stretch somewhat), with plans to be able to maybe double that in the future, where I imagine I might use additional SAN racks to facilitate this. On this front, I have no idea if the TrueNas Mini R can even support this, which I've not come across an answer for.

The general idea here is that buying a machine directly from iXsystems should net me the least hassle when it comes to setup and maintenance, along with a warranty etc.

Does this sound feasible? Is it worth asking for qoutes for anything else or for purchase advice from the company? I know when it comes to business prices its all negotiable etc (usually only for large accounts, which I would not be), but as I'm not a business and am looking to buy what's on the relatively light weight end of their spectrum of machines and, I'm not sure if Im just barking up the wrong tree (like they just don't think customers in my price range are worth targeting).

At 12 bays and 120TB you’re right on the edge of prosumer and enterprise. Wanting the ability to physically expand will move you into that enterprise territory and then rack mount assuming you want to keep a single namespace. Is having a rack mount system out of the question for you? The mini R does not allow expansion outside of the 12 bays. I’m sure iX sell TrueNAS certified hardware still which gives them access to many more hardware options outside of TrueNAS Enterprise so that may be an option.

Arwen

MVP
While the Mini R does not officially support external JBODs, their is a PCIe x 4 slot. (If you don't need 10Gbps over fiber.) It might be usable for a SAS HBA with external connectors to another 12 disk chassis / JBOD. Or perhaps 16 disk chassis / JBOD. Both of which iXsystems sells.

There are plenty of other vendors with similar products. Today it is almost impossible to not find something suitable for most uses. Though it can take tons of research...

Last, while TrueNAS Core is pretty stable, TrueNAS SCALE is still under development. If you want rock stable then Core, (based on FreeBSD), would be your choice. TrueNAS does take a bit of learning. Some users jump in without planning and end up with less than ideal setups. Which on rare occasions puts their data at risk.

If you "buy Enterprise", iXsystems assists with planning and such. But, us free users only have documentation, forums, Resources, (see top of forum pages for link), and just plain web searches.

YouTube videos about TrueNAS, formerly FreeNAS, tend to be less instructional and more entertainment. Lots of in-accurate information in misc. YouTube videos. That said, their ARE some good one... just take YouTube videos with a large block of salt until proven otherwise.