Is Symbolic links supported between Pools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xCatalystx

Contributor
Long story short, I need to make space on my main pool and until I can rebuild the whole thing I am thinking of just adding a separate 6tb mirror.
Does ZFS care if I move some data and symlink them back to the original places on the original volume?

IE:
Before: Pool1/Dataset1/Folder1
After: Pool1/Dataset1/Folder1 <symlink_to> Pool2/Dataset1/Folder1

The existing pool is 6x3tb disks raidz2 which I plan to rebuild at a later date into an 8disk volume. This is just a temporary solution until I can do this without affecting Pool1's redundancy or any programs using the existing shares.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sym link should be fine. Keep in mind different protocols test symlinks differently.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

xCatalystx

Contributor
To be more precise, if you're using samba you'll need to (1) disable "Unix Extensions" (2) enable "Widelinks" (3) create the symlink server-side in the CLI.
I thought unix extensions was better to leave on? I know you need "wide links" and "follow symlinks" set on the shares conf.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I thought unix extensions was better to leave on? I know you need "wide links" and "follow symlinks" set on the shares conf.
"wide links" and "unix extensions" are incompatible. "Wide links" is automatically disabled when Unix Extensions are on. This is a security mechanism. Otherwise a *nix client would be able to create symlnks to any location in the server's filesystem and expose it via the SMB share.

Last edited:

xCatalystx

Contributor
"wide links" and "unix extensions" are incompatible. Wide links is automatically disabled when Unix Extensions are on. This is a security mechanism. Otherwise a *nix client would be able to create symlnks to any location in the server's filesystem and expose it via the SMB share.
makes sense. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.