BUILD Is my hardware choice OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McReiner

Dabbler
I posted a new thread some days ago, about building a new NAS.

I started to read something i didnt know about FreeNAS, fx. the ZFS file system, and how big the ram requirement was. And i also read about software RAID vs. Hardware RAID.

So now i'm almost ready to order, but before i do, i want to know if i can do anything better. I just want to be sure it is good enough, before i spend thousands $$ on hardware.

The server wil ONLY be used by one user, to stream ripped blu-ray movies from to my TV.
I want to use RAIDZ, so i always can change a broken disc.

So, heres my setup:

Case: Chenbro ES34169
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-I LX
CPU: Celeron G460 1.5 MB (Intel Boxed)
RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3-1600 (2x8GB) - HyperX
HD: 3 x WD Red WD20EFRX 2 TB
OS Drive: Kingston MicroSDHC - 4 GB - Class 10 (I wanna install this card in the front card reader, and install the FreeNAS on it)

Price: About 680 Euros including the harddrives.

wreuel

Dabbler
hey man, I'm using a much lower hardware have been successful.

McReiner

Dabbler
#4 Seem to be a powefull setup, but unfortunately, here in Denmark your setup would be too expensive for me.

But i you think my setup is looking good, then i gues i can order i tomorrow :D

sqwob

Explorer
ps. samba (cifs) sharing likes fast single cores, don't know how many users you expect on your system?

wreuel

Dabbler

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have two system with freenas, the other system have Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 4GB Ram and 750GB HDD.

Notice that 4GB of RAM is still less than is recommended per the manual with ZFS.

lloydopol

Dabbler
^ 4GB is very2x acceptable for ZFS... allow me to share the full spec and pic of my FreeNAS box... i used all of my desktops (5 of them) and a notebook PC at the same time to check if 4GB system ram could hinder FreeNAS performance on ZFS... copying files, writing files and playing HD movies... but, the performance is just the same as when i'll just use a single PC in the network & do the usual stuffs... a 4GB system is just fine... maybe, a system with more ram is required for a RAIDZ configuration... just don't know... mine is set-up in RAID1 (for the 2 x 2TB) as of this writing...

Cpu: Intel Pentium D 925
Cpu cooling system: Deep Cool Alpha 30 (95W compatible)
Mobo: Asus P5KPL-AM
Ram: Kingston ValueRam 4GB DDR2 800 MHz (2 x 2GB)
Gpu: Asus EAH5450 512 VRAM DDR3
Psu: Antec EarthWatts EA-380D
HDDs: 2 x 2TB Toshiba (Hitachi) DT01ACA200 on RAID1 and a Samsung 40 GB SATA... i'm planning to add another pair for RaidZ2
Chassis: SAMA
NIC: Upgraded to Intel EXPI9301CT from the mobo's on-board NIC so as to utilize my Gigabit home Ethernet bandwidth speed.

allow me to share the pic... its on the right side of the bunch...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So let me get this straight.. you want me to trust a poster on a forum that got it to work over those that make FreeNAS? You also want everyone to ignore the boatload of posters that have tried(and failed) to get ZFS to work reliably with only 4GB of RAM?

You got it working. Good for you. But, that is not typical, and at any time you are likely to start having issues with your system kernel panicing. So good luck. Hope you don't see those issues, but I'd bet money you will eventually.

lloydopol

Dabbler
^ I had just shared my experience on my 4GB system on ZFS (RAID1)... if we, FreeNAS users wanted to have a 8GB system or more, so be it. nobody will stop us from doing so, right?... maybe, in my case, the 4GB system on ZFS just serves my use as of the moment... and maybe, in the future, if this HW would not satisfy my need, i'll switch to a 16 GB system on ZFS... i have the components ready here... its a back-up if the need arises... the mobo, CPU and mem modules are still boxed...

Anyhow, I'm also a newbie on FreeNAS... I'm open to all ideas too and would like to try everything that I'll encounter... but so far, my 4 GB system on ZFS (RAID1) is stable for now... I'll just cross my fingers that it will continue to be like this...

By the way, the same as the "thread starter", I also would like to know the performance of a Celeron G460 in FreeNAS... its my extra new CPU also...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.