Is it possible to set up a Raid 0 array without striping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdwosk97

Patron
I have three 4TB WD Red drives and I would like to set them up to appear as one logical drive (like Raid-0) over the network, but I also want the drives to be set up in overflow rather than striping (unlike Raid-0) -- that way if any one drive fails then only the data on that one drive is lost and the rest of the drives will remain fully functional with no data loss.

Would that be creating multiple vdev's and putting them in the same pool?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, not possible.

Vdevs are always striped within a pool.

ZFS' design also makes your scenario almost impossible - or rather, one drive failing would still take down the whole pool.

danb35

Hall of Famer
By definition, RAID 0 is striping, so no, what you're asking is not possible. In ZFS, multiple vdevs are always striped together, and to the best of my knowledge, that can't be changed--it definitely can't be changed from the FreeNAS GUI. If you want to limit the impact of a disk failure to the data on that disk, you'll need to set up each disk as its own pool.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have three 4TB WD Red drives and I would like to set them up to appear as one logical drive over the network, but I also want the drives to be set up in overflow rather than striping -- that way if any one drive fails then only the data on that one drive is lost and the rest of the drives will remain fully functional with no data loss.

Would that be creating multiple vdev's and putting them in the same pool?
RAID0 doesn't work like that either. If you lose a disk in a RAID0 array, you lose all the data on all the disks

Status
Not open for further replies.