Is it possible to mount a non-ZFS drive inside a container?

Southpaw1496

Dabbler
I want to run a Jellyfin server with all my movies and TV, which are currently stored on an external drive. I'd like them to stay on that drive, and I'd like the drive to remain formatted as exFAT, so that when I travel I can simply unplug the drive and take all my movies with me. Is it possible to make it available inside the Jellyfin container, and mount to it automatically on boot, without it having to be formatted as ZFS?

I've already tried mounting the drive using mount in the shell, which works, but when I tried to edit /etc/fstab, it was reset on boot.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
That is by design. TrueNAS is an appliance and manually changing such files will not survive a reboot.

As to the scenario and without having experience with Scale, my gut feeling tells me that this doesn't feel right from an architectural perspective.

Southpaw1496

Dabbler
I know it'd be a hacky solution if it's even possible, it's certainly not the intended use-case.

tsr966

Dabbler
could you use something like syncthing to keep the portable drive synced with a movies folder on truenas?

Southpaw1496

Dabbler
That could work, though I don't know if I have enough space for everything on the main NAS.

Southpaw1496

Dabbler
Could I maybe format the drive as ZFS and then have an exFAT ZVOL? I've seen something about being able to have ZVOLs be in non-ZFS formats, but I can't find anything useful on what they actually do or how they work.

tsr966

Dabbler
That could work, though I don't know if I have enough space for everything on the main NAS.
maybe have a seperate sync folder for movies to keep synced? use syncthing just on that folder?

Conker

Cadet
You can buy a USB pcie Card.
passtrough that usb controller to the vm/docker

thats what i did for my external usb BR Drive.

Southpaw1496

Dabbler
You can buy a USB pcie Card.
passtrough that usb controller to the vm/docker

thats what i did for my external usb BR Drive.
There are already USB ports on the computer I run TrueNAS on. Do I still need a PCIE card? If I pass the drive through to the application, how do I ensure that it is mounted in the container when it loads?

Conker

Cadet
Some Boards have stability issues if you passtrough a onboard controller. But you can try it, just look for the right PCI device with lspci