is i915 driver blacklisted?

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi All,

I am having issues loading the i915 driver and noticed that in the loader.conf that i915kms is blacklisted.

cat /boot/defaults/loader.conf | grep -i 915
module_blacklist="drm drm2 radeonkms i915kms amdgpu" # Loader module blacklist

When I remove drm and i915kms and reboot I do see both drivers with kldstat but not the /dev/dri* devices as when I manually load :
kldload /boot/modules/i915kms.ko

If I unload/load I get a crash/reboot.

What worked is : rc.conf kld_list=/boot/modules/i915kms.ko

My question is : Wy do I have to load the module late and not early?

I would like this to load in the loader. This is an older Dell Precision T1500 with Intel IronLake video booting BIOS(no UEFI):

Your CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (3192.07-MHz K8-class CPU)
pciid to match: 0x0042
Support in the base driver: {0x8086, 0x0042, 0, "Intel IronLake"},

Thanks,
Joe

Yorick

Wizard
kld_list is the canonical way to do this, so ... other than aesthetics, what's the issue?

BTW, 1st gen Intel Core is not going to be a good experience when trying to transcode 1080p. That became usable with Haswell, gen 4.

RegularJoe

Patron
Yorick,

This is for 720p and I got the machine for $25

The issue(I think this is a known issue somewhere) is when I use the loader I do not get these devices :
/dev/dri:
card0 renderD128

Even when I do get the devices in the jail, the permissions are not right for zoneminder and the perms reset when the jail is restarted. When I look at the host I see the group for the /dev/dri and /dev/drm are root:44 where 44 is my devfs_ruleset.

The fix for now is going to be unraid, I am just gong to by a license for zonemined as they have a container that I can use my nVidia video card and mouse to setup for zonemineder. Second thoughts, the maintainer of unraid is just not with it when it comes to zfs, I don't like his attitude and zfs has spoiled me, looks like I just wait till Scale gives me what I want. LOL

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

RegularJoe

Patron
I eneded up putting this line back in my loader :
module_blacklist="drm drm2 radeonkms i915kms amdgpu"

I had the screen console go black and would not respond to keyboard input. I know TN did not crash as the power button did a shutdown.

Yorick

Wizard
When i915 is loaded, then IPMI KVM does not work. That's a known side effect.