Is conversion from Stripe to Raidz1 or z2 possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasnice

Explorer
Thanks all for your contributions.

However with some 7 TB of data I am stalemated, last month I spend 330 Euro on three 3 TB's WD Red and now I am looking for a trick to continue without having to resort to temporary "borrowing" 2 drives from an unsuspecting reseller as someone on this forum did facing the same problem....

Is this way of Zpool expansion maybe a pending feature request? Personally I am puzzled why the ZFS soft cannot accept (two) extra empty disks and treat them as till know unused space... All the arithmatic to correct and generate new checksums seems to be in place since replacing drives for bigger ones is possible...

Anyway this is quite a different subject and it will surely not be solved quickly if at all.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hi Cyberjock!

Thanks for your helpful reply!

I've seen more of this kind of reply's even to the point of defaming a Nas instructor who rightfully stated that reading a 280 page manual is NOT the sensible thing to do but forums like this one might provide users with much faster and friendlier support.

I was hoping for some experienced insights because in all honesty I have tried RTFM but find it a very confusing utterly unreadable piece of technical work using lots of abbreviations with links all over the place that end you up very far from the answer that you were looking for.... Just one example:

The installation chapter has much more info on virtualisation than on an actual dedicated installation....

To my best belief my specific questions on the ZFS Config are NOT covered in the Manual neither in the Noobie guide....
My question if my APC smart UPS can work with Freenas is also not answered.... Yes Freenas caters for some UPS's but I fail to find a list of supported hardware models....

Anyone?

First, I don't really care what "a NAS instructor" thinks about our manual. If they aren't a FreeNAS wizard then it doesn't matter. And to be quite frank, you can NOT lump all "NAS instructors" into a group and expect anything you say after those two words to be accurate. People used to talk like that when they talked about "blacks" and "indians" and "the japanese". It wasn't right back then and it still isn't right now.

Second, if our manual is a piece of junk then you just informed everyone you are clueless. Our manual is maintained by Dru, which is an award winning writer. So yeah, good luck to you on your endeavors.

Third, if you read my noobie guide you'd know that ZFS configs *are* in there. In fact, the guide originally was for ZFS configs and nothing else.

Fourth, if you looked out our manual (like I had recommended in the beginning) you'd have seen a web link to the combined list of all known supported UPSes. I am truly sorry that you couldn't be inconvenienced with a list that long and instead contributed to the sad state of affairs that makes forum searching impossible.
2014-08-02_11h42_44.png

Too bad. I do have to wonder what other info you won't glean from our manual that will later prove to be critical to not losing your data. Far too many things you do in FreeNAS and with ZFS, once done, cannot be undone.

Good luck to you sir. I do hope that you don't lose your data.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Personally I am puzzled why the ZFS soft cannot accept (two) extra empty disks and treat them as till know unused space...
It is possible to create a degraded RAIDZ vdev, and there are other posts on the forum describing the process. It's not recommended, likely isn't very safe, and is quite definitely in the "there be dragons" category with respect to support. But all of that said, it does seem to be possible to create, for example, a six-disk RAIDZ2 vdev with two disks missing, and "replace" (i.e., install) those disks later.

On the UPS issue, I have to wonder if you are aware of the irony of your simultaneously complaining that (1) the 280-page manual is too big to read, and (2) the entire 928-item HCL for NUT is not included in the manual.

nasnice

Explorer
Hi danb,

I do not feel comfortable enough to create 2 virtual disks in a six Disk Raidz2 config and risk my data... So I am considering building a 3 disk Raidz1 for now for the non critical data and next month (when I can bring 2 more 3 TB disks to Portugal) a 4 disk Raidz2 for the critical data... and run snapshot and replication tasks vice versa. Only issue is that I need to expand the SATA ports on my currenst ASRock MB since it only supports 6 SATA disks.

The UPS list link is a perfect example of how too much information can provide no information at all. To my knowledge there are less than 10 big brands in the UPS market. (Among them APC) A commercial software company would just name the 10 supported brands/models and not bother with the remaining 1% of UPS's. Since we are talking open source here we do support basically everything in so doing often needlesly complicating the matters at hand. Irony? I think not, basically these are two appearances of the same (open software documentation) problem...

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The UPS list link is a perfect example of how too much information can provide no information at all. To my knowledge there are less than 10 big brands in the UPS market. (Among them APC) A commercial software company would just name the 10 supported brands/models and not bother with the remaining 1% of UPS's. Since we are talking open source here we do support basically everything in so doing often needlesly complicating the matters at hand. Irony? I think not, basically these are two appearances of the same (open software documentation) problem...

I can understand that, but the problem is that this product is available worldwide. If you are in the USA there's 3-4 major companies that do UPSes and that's it. Unfortunately if you leave the United States those companies are almost impossible to buy and those 100 other small-fry companies (and their models) are scattered in various quantities all over the world. At the end of the day we don't make NUT (the service that handles the UPS service) and the resources that would be required to keep that list in our manual makes it a non-starter. So we simply link to the NUT website and let you go from there.

Not to sound like a total jackwagon, but FreeNAS isn't for amateur users. My mom couldn't figure this stuff out if you have her 10 years to do it. This is advanced level stuff and arguing that you are getting too much information leads me to believe that either you aren't interested in doing your homework, you aren't capable of understanding the complexity of the situation based on your historical experience (which isn't a putdown.. I had never touched FreeBSD just 3 years ago), or you are complaining because its not dead simple. It's not my job to decide what category you are in and I have better things to do than try to figure out which one you are in.

The bottom line is that if this is so far over your head that you *are* clueless you should either be *very* interested in learning this stuff because what you don't know may cost you your data or you should consider alternate products. As you will be using ZFS, if you do something to f up ZFS your data will be gone. There are *zero* recovery tools. So either this works great forever or it works great and then you cry over lost data. There is no "I'm gonna run this recovery tool and get my data back". They don't exist. At all. The only person I know to try a recovery company paid almost $20k for 450GB of data. If you have that kind of cash please send me some.

FreeNAS and ZFS will *not* forgive you if you want to be stupid. I point people to the manual because it's in their best interest to *fully and completely* understand what they are getting into. Anything less than that would be irresponsible as it's my job to make your FreeNAS installation, setup, and use go smoothly. There are plenty of people that I have to /facepalm on because I know they'll lose their data. Many don't even get a month out and lost decades worth of data.... forever.

So do yourself, and us, a favor and make the decision to sit down and read all of this documentation so you can make a fully informed decision on what you are doing or call up Synology and look at what they have for offerings. I'd much rather you use a Synology if that's all you are capable of using than trying to use an OS that is outside of your league and costs you your data later.

Synology devices aren't terrible and my own mother could probably use one if she needed to. Not everyone can be a NAS pro. If I went to linux forums I'd be a damn noob and I'd look stupid and be told to take a hike most likely too. But for your data's sake, swallow your pride, quit complaining about what you have and don't have, and just make sure you are covering the bases. If you lose your data later and its because of something you didn't know because you chose to ignore our recommendations we're going to just say "we told ya so" and leave you dataless. We can't fix what you break because you didn't know better.

Good luck everyone but I'm unsubscribing from this thread. We're arguing over circular statements and it's just a waste of time.

nasnice

Explorer
Once more I would like to thank all for the help!

I will open another topic on another subject that I have some questions about because this thread has thoroughly been poisoned with many issues far beside the original topic.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.