iocage, Nextcloud, collabora? Or OnlyOffice?

dnilgreb

Contributor
I´m running FreeNAS 11.2 and a Nextcloud server in an iocage jail. I would like to be able to edit office documents online, and so I´m looking at Collabora. I can´t find a guide to set this up, does anyone know of a good guide for this? Alternatively, I know there´s somthing called OnlyOffice, which seems to do alomst the same thing, Any reason to go with one or the other?

ninjai

Explorer
I'm also looking for info on this. From the sounds of it, Collabora should be its own jail, but that's all i can really find out on it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any reason to go with one or the other?
If you're using Nextcloud 15 and Collabora, users of the mobile apps should be able to edit documents using the mobile app. I don't believe OnlyOffice offers this capability.

adrianwi

Guru
They both do! I'm running a Nextcloud 15 iocage jail, a Ubuntu VM running ONLYOFFICE Document Server and Docker, running a Collabora container. They both work well (a little slow), I think I prefer the ONLYOFFICE interface but it looks like Collabora will end up the better-integrated solution with Talk.

It's no O365 but pretty handy for an open source self-hosted solution. Don't think either can be run under FreeBSD hence the VM and/or Docker.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Ok, so I can´t run this in a jail then?
I guess I could set up a VM and run it there? Could that be a way of making this possible, having NC15 in a jail and Collabora/OnlyOffice in a VM? And if so, how to accomplish it? Is there a guide or anything anybody knows about?

adrianwi

Guru
You'll need to use some Google fu! There are various guides for setting up a VM and you'll find some for installing ONLYOFFICE Document Server in Linux. The same for installing Docker and the Collabora.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ok, so I can´t run this in a jail then?
I'd expect you could, as all the underlying technology should run on FreeBSD. But whether you can find any documentation on how, or figure it out yourself, is a separate question. You might find it easier to run a Linux VM, as both packages are better documented there.

gt2416

Patron
Collabora has more features and is better integrated with NextCloud 15.
However I use Onlyoffice because its a drop in Microsoft Office replacement and my entire family uses Office. It defaults to Office formats which is SUPER convenient.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess I´ll get started with a Linux VM and take it from there.
Having some trouble getting one going, though.
It won´t start, and I´ve gathered it´s because i don´t have virtualization enabled on my CPU in BIOS.

My CPU info:
Code:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392.22-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x306c3  Family=0x6  Model=0x3c  Stepping=3
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x7fdafbbf<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
  AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x21<LAHF,ABM>
  Structured Extended Features=0x27ab<FSGSBASE,TSCADJ,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,NFPUSG>
  XSAVE Features=0x1<XSAVEOPT>
  VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics

Looking at this row in particular:
Code:
 VT-x: (disabled in BIOS) PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID

That should mean that the CPU supports virtualization and I just have to enable it in BIOS, right?
It´s kind of old hardware, so I´d like to make sure it can be done before I start connecting a monitor and all that...

gt2416

Patron

dnilgreb

Contributor
You NEED VT-x to run a vm and it is usually enabled in bios if your cpu supports it. The i3-4130 unfortunately does not.

Ok. I took a look at the page you linked to.
I found this:
Code:
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)     Yes

Shouldn´t that mean that it does support virtualization (VT-x), and should work ok?

gt2416

Patron
Ooops, I thought it said No to VT-x, replied really late last night so must have missed it. Then yea you should be able to enable it in bios.

Also regarding guides, there is a good one on OnlyOffice's official website. For OnlyOffice you just need to add the repo and apt-get install it. After that you MUST get a valid certificate using letsencrypt or something. Nextcloud refuses to work with a self signed or non ssl config.

Last edited:

dnilgreb

Contributor
I got VT-x going in my BIOS, and now I can boot a VM. So far so good. Next step.
I´ve tried setting up a Docker host, and that went fine. I then added Onlyoffice by this command:
Code:
sudo docker run -i -t -d -p 8088:80 -p 443:443 -v /opt/onlyoffice/Data:/var/www/onlyoffice/Data onlyoffice/communityserver

Then when browsing to port 8088 on the Docker hosts IP, I get the Onlyoffice startup process screen, telling me to wait while OnlyOffice is being setup. After an hour of that I gave up waiting. Can´t find any error in logs at /var/log.

I tried a standard VM instead, downloaded ubuntu-18.04.1.0-live-server-amd64.iso, and mounted that as installation media. No go.

I am now at a loss. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I went through the guie on Onlyoffice´s site. But something must be missing still.
Any pointers?

gt2416

Patron
I have not personally used the docker image. I installed it manually so I wouldn't know.
Also the community server is not what you want. The document server is what you need. The community server is a sort of GUI that lets you manage and colab OnlyOffice with other people. Even if you install that you still need the document server.
Nextcloud is our GUI, so you only need the document server backend.

dnilgreb

Contributor
I’ve been trying for a while now to boot a VM on a Ubuntu ISO, bit it just will not boot. New attempt with Docker. Documentserver installed. But how to install certbot? apt-get does not seem to exist.

Or even better, what steps do I need to take to have the Ubuntu VM install properly? Seems like that would be easier if I could just get it to boot...

gt2416

Patron
Really haven't used docker before so I don't know, nor do I use FreeNAS to spin up vm's.
Maybe try Ubuntu 16.04 ? It has better compatibility I would imagine.
Hopefully someone else will chime in, I run FreeNAS on a hypervisor, so I dont use FreeNAS for my vm's.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Finally, I made some progress. New Ubuntu VM up and running. Documentserver installed after following the instruction here.
But now I´ve hit another problem. Certificate installation using letsencrypt.
My OnlyOffice server is on the same LAN as My Nextcloud Server (as it is on the same hardware), and of course they share the same public IP address. LetsEncrypt does not seem to support alternate ports. Ports 80 and 443 are already used by Nextcloud. How do I now go about installing certs on the OnlyOffice server?

gt2416

Patron
On your router point port 80 and 443 to your Only document server and not nextcloud. Then use lets encrypt to get the certificate. After that point port 80 and 443 back to Nextcloud.
You will have to do this every time you renew your certificates as well.

danb35

Hall of Famer
LetsEncrypt does not seem to support alternate ports.
No, it does not.
How do I now go about installing certs on the OnlyOffice server?
Figure out how to make DNS validation work for you. If you set it up right (and use a DNS host with a supported API), you won't have to make any manual changes in the future.

adrianwi

Guru
Or a reverse proxy jail to handle all of the SSL certificates and redirect to the appropriate service.