iocage Cloning and Promoting jails

gt2416

Patron
iocage has a clone functionality built in, which basically uses zfs snapshots. However the iocage promote command does not seem to be in FreeNAS 11.2-Release. Using iocage promote gives the error " Error: No such command "promote". "
This is directly from the docs: https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-use.html

Without being able to promote a jail, deleting the main jail also deletes the clone jail. Am I missing something, why does this command not work ? Is there a equivalent command I can use ? Theres almost no point being able to snapshot a jail without being able to promote a cloned jail.

Last edited:

meku

Dabbler
You could try using the zfs promote commands. I assume iocage is simply functioning as a wrapper around these commands.

Oriann

Explorer
I am very curious about this. I managed to get cloned my iocage jail but I cannot promote it....I have deleted clone but it also deleted my original jail FU*K.

Does somebody know how to operate with this ?

EDIT: Also this is very nice thing about quickly testing new packages in jail ...snapshotting makes me tired and its more complicated.
For easy of use this is nice command that is documented on FreeBSD but doesnt work in FreeNAS. Can somebody more experienced explain why this is not implemented in FreeNAS ?