Invalid Authentication

Jerry_B

Cadet
Just installed TrueNAS 22. Set up a user password during installation.

The device ist shown in the network neighbourhood; the web interface can be accessed without problems.

However when I try to login it keeps telling me 'Invalid Authentication'.

The link 'Forgot password?' either doesn't work cause no email for the admin has been set up during installation.

I've already tried resetting all settings and redefining the standard user (admin, no root). To no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

PhilD13

Patron
The user setup during install is the admin user for the web interface only. After install you have to set up users, and user permissions, a pool, datasets, and shares (SMB etc.), within the datasets to be able to access anything.

Jerry_B

Cadet
The problem is I can't access the system by web interface cause the admin authentication repeatedly fails. The console only allows for either an admin user or a root user (not recommended and auth fails, too).

Thus no easy chance to set up other users.

PhilD13

Patron
The truenas admin interface is accessed by a web browser only and not windows file manager. You would need the ip address or the server name and go to something like:
https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/ui/sessions/signin (where the x's are the ip address) from a browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc., accept the default certificate then use admin and the password you gave it during install. There is no "root" anymore on a new install only admin user with privlages so "root" will never be a valid user. If there is a monitor connected to the server, then it will have a shell that displays the ip address to connect to if you don't know it. You may also try truenas.local as the server name instead of the ip address. I think that might work too.

The username and password are both case sensitive.

Jerry_B

Cadet
I did it exactly as you described – accessed the NAS via IP in Opera browser, the login page appeared.

Entered admin and the password I defined. The return was – as described above – 'Invalid Authentication'.

This also happened after resetting the password in the console (I tried '123'; hope that's not to simple and violates some security rule).
Afterwards in the web login page I again was told 'Invalid Authentication'.

PhilD13

Patron
I would use something longer about 8 characters. It's possible the password change did not work though it said success..
After initial install did you ever have login to the admin web gui?
If so, did you by chance edit users and switch on the disable password option on the admin (local administrator) user account and or check the Lock User checkbox? If so on either/both that is why you cannot login. Only the user account named root should have disable password turned on.

Try rebooting after the password change.

Jerry_B

Cadet
Already the very first login to the web interface after install failed with 'Invalid Authentication'. Thus no chance whatsoever to edit any users.

I'll try a 'modern' password this evening.

Jerry_B

Cadet
I'm using a German Keyboard. However with '123' not much should go wrong. As told I'm going to install a 'modern' password tonight.

Jerry_B

Cadet
Just tried a long password (15 characters) using an English keyboard just to be sure. Same result as before — 'Invalid Authentication' (directly and after reboot).

probain

Patron
Be aware that the username is case-sensitive. Maybe that's what's trippin?