Internal Cold Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuzikManiak

Cadet
I have been reading through the forms and have not found what I'm looking for. If it has been discussed already then I apologize in advance.

I have a goal in mind that I'm trying to accomplish. I'm really trying to have fewer machines running all the time and combine them onto one server. I choose FreeNAS for this and so far has exceeded my expectations. I have combined my WebServers in Jails, File Storage, and Plex onto FreeNAS at this point. One thing I want to do is to have a Cold Storage Drive mounted inside the Server case for dumping a backup to monthly or so instead of having another NAS type device running on my network. Seems like a waist of energy and resources when I should be able to set it all up on the FreeNAS server. I need a Windows formatted drive that encase of a server failure I can remove and place into my Desktop for work related materials that I need. No work, no paycheck. Down time is crucial.

Mounting the drive with NTFS is no problem. The problem I am having is using the FreeNAS gui to do all the work. I have tried using Tasks>Rsync Tasks to accomplish this and its just not going as planned. I have tried everything I can think of.

The solution that I have ended up with is the following: I wrote a bash script to mount if not mounted and rsync data to the drive. Pretty simple but not sure if there is a better way. Here is an example of the bash script I came up with and I will use a Cron job to que the script once ever so often and allow the large backup drive to spin down when its not copying data. This is just an example

Code:
#!/bin/sh

if [ -d "/mnt/ntfsmount/ColdStorage" ]; then
	 rsync -Iua /mnt/vol1/Dir-To-Copy /mnt/ntfsmount
else
	 mount_msdosfs /dev/ada5 /mnt/ntfsmount
	 rsync -Iua /mnt/vol1/Dir-To-Copy /mnt/ntfsmount
fi

Basically checking the mount location to see if the backup directory is there, if not mount the drive then copy and it does work.

If anyone has a better solution please let me know. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.