Installing Zoneminder advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Hi all, i assume there is no plugin for zoneminder, Yet? what is the best way to install and how or is there any guides? ive tried looking and there seems to be a few similar questions knocking about but not guides.

thanks in advance

D

dlavigne

There's a port, so pkg install zoneminder should work in a jail. If this is your first jail, read through Chapter 13 first.

fizzgig656

Contributor
ok cheers, ive one or two only, so ill have a read. i read somewhere it needs to be a web server jail? i guess i create the jail within webgui with ip etc, then login to jail shell and run install. but ill have a read first. Knew it would be an easy answer. thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The last time I checked, the FreeBSD pkg for Zoneminder was quite a bit out of date, and I couldn't get the then-current source to compile in a jail. My solution was to install a VirtualBox jail, set up a Ubuntu VM inside that, and install Zoneminder in the VM. Search around here, though; there are a few threads on the subject.

fizzgig656

Contributor
ok thanks, never setup a Virtualbox jail, is it like a virtual machine on windows? does it use any different/more resources than a jail? ill have a search again. thanks.

danb35

Hall of Famer
VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org/

A VirtualBox jail is a jail which has VirtualBox 4.3.12 installed, along with phpVirtualBox to give you a fairly decent web GUI. To create one, click the Add Jail button, go to Advanced Mode, and choose VirtualBox as the jail template. Login and password for the web GUI will be admin/admin.

fizzgig656

Contributor
cheers, ill give it a go.

fizzgig656

Contributor
ok to looking to set this up, is there any specifics i need to be aware of, assuming i can install ubuntu desktop in the virtualbox then install zoneminder. any best setting to use for virtual environment HDD size, Ram etc

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's been a while since I set mine up, so I'm probably going to miss something, but here's what I remember:
  • Ubuntu server, not desktop--the desktop environment takes drive space, cycles, and RAM, and you won't really use it anyway
  • 4 GB RAM, 30 GB virtual drive
  • Install the virtualbox guest additions
  • Create a dataset on the FreeNAS server for zoneminder, mount that as storage to the VirtualBox jail, and use the shared folders feature of virtualbox to mount that folder to the VM. See this thread about an issue I had with that, and how I solved it. This way, the recordings are on the FreeNAS server, not locked in a virtual disk image
  • As to installing zoneminder itself, I really don't remember any detail. I probably just did apt-get install zoneminder. Best I can suggest is a web search for zoneminder on ubuntu.

fizzgig656

Contributor

fizzgig656

Contributor

fizzgig656

Contributor
Ignore by boot problem. Was me (obviously) I'd added another sata cdrom drive and it was trying to boot from the ide one. Oops

fizzgig656

Contributor
getting there, now not sure how to install the guest additions, wheres the iso or do i need to download it? and now do i connect to the ubuntu server from my laptop using putty? i guess i need to setup some sort of port forwarding within the virtualbox manager. so i connect to virtualbox using port *** then this is directed to the internal ipaddress??
Im using the console at the moment and following a guide to installing zoneminder, but i cant do cd ~ and some other code due to my keyboard mapping and i cant copy/paste the command!

danb35

Hall of Famer
You don't need to do a port forward. Set up the VM with bridged networking, and make sure SSH is running in the VM. Then just SSH to the VM. As to installing the guest additions, I thought the .iso was part of the template, but if not, you can download it from virtualbox.org.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Thanks. I thought it was part of the template, just haven't found it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.