SOLVED installing on USB key takes forever

derWalter

Explorer
I know about the drawbacks of installing to an USB device.

Installing took hours and booting was not possible, as the services timed out. With ssd no problem

Hardware:

Main board: Fujitsu D3644-BCP
CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G5420
Ram: Samsung DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19, ECC (M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
USB key: Mushkin - Atom 32GB (MKNUFDAM32GB)

Is this on purpose, or do I face a problem which can be solved? I don't want to nuy an extra ssd and I also don't need the USB stick. So I would prefer to use it.

Last edited:

maximelu

Explorer
For my understandings : wich support contain the Truenas Scan ISO ? This USB ke or another ?

derWalter

Explorer
I installed from one USB stick to an other, maybe I'm going to switch these first, just for ruling out its a problem with this definite stick...

seems to be a problem with the stick, as its not working anymore, maybe I check back, once a got a substitution in place.

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
It's not on purpose but the days when people would regularly install the boot OS on a USB stick are also pretty much gone. It's just not a good idea unless you're out of SATA ports and even then, I'd create a mirrored boot pool using high-endurance SDXC media from a quality supplier with a SDXC-USBA adapter. Remember to scrub the boot pool regularly too, have at least one spare SDXC for the pool handy - they cost next to nothing.

gary_1

Explorer
If you don't have sata ports available, the next best thing is likely an M2 drive with a M2/USB3 adapter. For example:-

Advice is generally not to use USB sticks since they're often of mixed quality, die quickly from wear, boot times are slow, upgrades are slow and so forth. Problems that are made all the worse if you use encryption and have a need to move the system dataset to the boot volume. Use a SSD or M2 even if it's over USB3 imo.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Good point. A real SSD via USB is preferable to a USB flash drive in general.

derWalter

Explorer
Hey guys, I took the bite and went with an other SSD... Why? Cause it uses less power then most USB devices and brings along the possibillity oft an l2arc partition for caching... Something i rly didnt want... I just wanted a nice little nas box.... Now I have two HDDs (should be spun down most of the time) two ssds (for frequently used files) and now one more system with cache ssd.... I come from a two HDD nas and never wanted something bigger at home... It just got out of hand I guess ;)))