Install/Upgrade Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldTipu

Cadet
Hello I am new installer ,
i have Vwmare Server ESXi 5.0.0.0 441354
I have created VM booted with ISO image . (Free NAS 8.3.1-Release-p2 )
When reaching Console Setup
i selected 1 Install/Upgrade
Nothing is happening if i enter the option . it just blink and came back to the same option back .
(Please find the screen shot of VM and the option)
Please let me know if there is any option in Virtual machine i need to change.
Kind Regards
GoldTipu

Attachments

• fnas.JPG
    fnas.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 306
  • freenasvm.JPG
    freenasvm.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 312

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Increase memory to 8GB. Make sure your virtual disks are sufficiently large.

GoldTipu

Cadet
I have increased the Memory above to 8 GB , my First Disk is 16 GB and the 2nd Disk is 50 GB . still have the same issue . i can do the Shell / Reboot System / Shutdown system no problem with these options.
do i have to add more disk ?

Attachments

• nasdisk.JPG
    nasdisk.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 333

GoldTipu

Cadet
Increase memory to 8GB. Make sure your virtual disks are sufficiently large.

I have increased the Memory above to 8 GB , my First Disk is 16 GB and the 2nd Disk is 50 GB . still have the same issue . i can do the Shell / Reboot System / Shutdown system no problem with these options.
do i have to add more disk ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I believe I had the issue you are describing before. My issue was I had no hard drive connected to the system(whoops). Is it possible you have chosen to emulate a SAS/SATA/IDE controller that isn't supported by FreeNAS? The default is the one you should be selecting(LSI Logic Parallel). Your screenshot says "paravirtualization". I'm not very experienced with ESXi, so I'm not sure what exactly that is. When I look at the paravirtualization option on my ESXi machine it says next to it "not recommended for this virtual machine type".

One last thing(that shouldn't matter but could help) is that ESXi build 441354 is fairly old. I'd consider upgrading that also.

GoldTipu

Cadet
I believe I had the issue you are describing before. My issue was I had no hard drive connected to the system(whoops). Is it possible you have chosen to emulate a SAS/SATA/IDE controller that isn't supported by FreeNAS? The default is the one you should be selecting(LSI Logic Parallel). Your screenshot says "paravirtualization". I'm not very experienced with ESXi, so I'm not sure what exactly that is. When I look at the paravirtualization option on my ESXi machine it says next to it "not recommended for this virtual machine type".

One last thing(that shouldn't matter but could help) is that ESXi build 441354 is fairly old. I'd consider upgrading that also.

ok I got this working NOW here is what i changed .
I removed SCSI (0:0) from the VM
Added IDE (0:0) Hard disk 1
booted the server and able to pass on the next screen .
Thank you for your reply back which i think you have pointed me in correct direction .
however IDE seams to be supported under VM however SCSI is not supported .
Thanking you again :)

Attachments

• IDE .JPG
    IDE .JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 302

titan_rw

Guru
The "LSI logic scsi" adapter type should work too.

The para virtual scsi adapter (pvscsi) will not work without adding freebsd vmware drivers for it. It's not really needed anyway, as it's designed to be used when the storage is SAN backed.

As I'm sure this is purely a test environment, I wouldn't worry which one is in use, as long as it works.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Why wouldn't you just use the FreeBSD 64-bit preset and just go with it? Believe it or not, VMware actually supports FreeBSD pretty well - if you just let it.

Status
Not open for further replies.