SOLVED Install hangs

balanga

Patron
I've just downloaded the latest version of FreeNAS and am trying to install it on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M91 but it hangs when it starts to boot.

The last thing displayed is

dimensions
stride
masks

I previously installed FreeNAS several years ago and it installed without problems and has been running fine since.

Is there something specific I need to look for? The system is fairly old but has 12GB of ram and a 2TB disk, not sure about the CPU.

Last edited:

balanga

Patron
Is there any way to tell if this is a BIOS problem?

I have no such problem when trying to install the latest version of FreeBSD.

zenon1823

Explorer
Have you tried both BIOS and EFI Boot. Also have you tried different install media? I've never had an issue with bios/efi myself, but I've seen a few threads about it. I have however had issues with installing from USB media in the past on some systems. (with FreeNAS and other OS's) I always start troubleshooting by attempting the install from burned CD/DVD media, this has corrected some weird install issues for me in the past.

1kokies

Contributor
11.2 U6 ISO is great and just have to alternate between BIOS or UEFI, all the way from creating the installer itself. It will work.

As the Lenovo is a generic model, can you tell if the Bios is UEFI or BIOS (legacy) ?

balanga

Patron
I was using a Micro SD card previously, but have just tried a USB stick and after selected legacy boot it seemed to work. I was only interested in getting it to boot initially, so now I'll try to get FreeNAS up and running.

balanga

Patron
11.2 U6 ISO is great and just have to alternate between BIOS or UEFI, all the way from creating the installer itself. It will work.

As the Lenovo is a generic model, can you tell if the Bios is UEFI or BIOS (legacy) ?

I have it booting now thanks.

1kokies

Contributor
ok great to hear that