Insert Intel Optane P4801X 100GB M.2 to Gigabytes C246M-WU4 fail to boot

ccy

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a Gigabytes C246M-WU4 motherboard. It comes with 110mm M.2 slot. I also has a Intel Optane P4801X 100GB M.2 that I intend to use it as SLOG device. When I insert the intel optane M.2 into the board, it fail to boot and screen shows blank. Remove the Intel optane, it boots normally.

I try to insert Intel Optane (110mm) to a M.2 NVMe extension cable (80mm): https://www.dhgate.com/product/m-2-nvme-ssd-solid-state-drive-extension/449332923.html

The system can boot normal and detect Intel optane as /dev/nvd0.

Any ideas what could make the board fail to boot once Intel optane inserted? The Intel Optane is empty and has OS installed.

Any ideas what could make the board fail to boot once Intel optane inserted? The Intel Optane is empty and has OS installed.
Is it trying to boot from the optane drive? When you say fails to boot what exactly do you mean? Are there specific errors you see? What stage of booting fails? Does the board POST? I think more specificity is needed here. The more detailed the better; copy-paste errors etc if you can; screen shot or photo if you can't might be helpful.

ccy

Dabbler
No, I am sure it didn't boot to optane drive. Even the POST screen didn't show up after I power on. Once power on, my screen never show a character. The chassis fans run in full speed and never slow down after power on. Since nothing shows on screen, I suspect it never get thru the POST yet.