in between 1Gbe and 10Gbe such as 2.5Gbe and 5Gbe

Lectra

Cadet
Looking for some community insight since I have been dealing with this about 9 months now, if there is a power outage or I have to reboot, I must unplug the ethernet cable from the 2.5Gbe Net gear switch and plug into a 1Gbe port on another switch, then only can I log into the web interface, enter the shell which is clearly sandboxed and has no impact except during the current boot.

using the following command, which by the way I had to guess using trial and error because I could not find any documentation on it whatsoever, hell I didn't at first even know why it was connecting and disconnecting every 5 seconds, figured out it would connect at 1Gbe, switch and adapter would negotiate to switch to 2.5 and because it wasn't enabled in the driver, inside Truenas Scale, the connection dropped. This all went away with the following command that has to be reentered each and every time the system is rebooted via a 1Gbe connection.

COMMAND LINE

ethtool -s enp5s0 advertise 2500baseT/Full on

The same command works for enabling 5Gbe just by changing the 2500 to 5000, I assume, I have no way to test this cause If I had a 10Gbe switch Im sure this would not be a problem for me at all..

-----TLDR-----

HOW TO MAKE THIS COMMAND PERMANENT IRREGARDLESS OF HOW MANY TIMES THE SYSTEM REBOOTS!?!
IF NOT THE COMMAND, THEN THE ACTION THE COMMAND EXECUTES!

danb35

Hall of Famer
The real answer is to not use a POS network technology, which 2.5 GbE is. But you should be able to run an arbitrary command after boot by specifying it in System Settings -> Advanced -> Init/Shutdown scripts.

Lectra

Cadet
The real answer is to not use a POS network technology, which 2.5 GbE is. But you should be able to run an arbitrary command after boot by specifying it in System Settings -> Advanced -> Init/Shutdown scripts.
yea that I get, but im poor, so when someone gives you a netgear 2.5gbit managed switch for free, you tend to figure out how to use it so you can step out of the 1gbit hell you've been in for a decade. and honestly, its been pretty fantastic, with the exception of Truenas not fully supporting the speed out of the box on the X550s I picked up for like 20 bucks a piece. I dont fully understand why 2.5/5 get such a bad rap considering my experience so far.

to the other section yea, I need some time to do more research for the preinit scripts. which is why I came to the community to see and I think i finally found another post, but this is the first time in like 5 months I've tried to look into this problem, usually, I just avoid rebooting, and the server is on a UPS so if there is a power interruption its usually not a problem unless the power is out for more than 6 hours.

Lectra

Cadet
I did try this before, and its been set, but it doesn't work, this is the same command I use in Shell to enable it in the first place. So I think I gave up unless you see something I am not doing correctly.

1693839980276.png

Lectra

Cadet
Actually I think I just saw the problem, it was set for POSTINIT not PREINIT... soo yea Im a n00b.. leave me be. Ill see if it works on next reboot lol.

danb35

Hall of Famer
unless you see something I am not doing correctly.
It all looks good, though you may need to specify the full path to ethtool: /usr/sbin/ethtool ...

Lectra

Cadet
Gee thanks, I changed it, still waiting to test to see if it works, ill respond back here soon after a backup completes.