Importing ZFS pool in new HW

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilHearted

Cadet
Hi

I have tried to search for a solution for my problem without success so I starting this thread.

Background
I bought a INTEL SASUC81 RAID SAS Controller PCIe (SASUC8I) to extend my zfs pool.
This card did not work in my MSI MB so I did some scavenge at work and found an HP mother board and hey presto the card worked and I can see the disks.

Now to my problem
I have detached the volume Storage in my old installation
I am now trying to import the volume using the "auto import" but I cant see the Volume Storage in my new configuration.
Another volume (Backup) went fine importing.

if I move the back disks to my old HW I can import the volume so the are alive and kicking and the information is there.

I´m running FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 on 4gb stick

any Ideas?
Best Regards from a snowy Sweden
Mattias

paleoN

Wizard
If the hardware is still in the old system with the pool imported, from a SSH session as root paste the output of:
Code:
zpool status -v

Once the hardware is in the new system, from a SSH session as root paste the output of:
Code:
zpool import

camcontrol devlist

gpart show

glabel status

FYI, I may not be around all that much the next few days.

Yell

Explorer
FYI i used the following command to successfully import my degrated (1 missing) raidz2:

Code:
zpool import -c /data/zfs/zpool.cache -f -F datapool

(where datapool is your poolname)

Done this because a zpool import showed my pool but didnt imported it.

paleoN

Wizard
FYI i used the following command to successfully import my degrated (1 missing) raidz2:
This is the wrong command to run assuming the missing drive was your only problem. You did not need or want the second -F and I wouldn't think you even need the first -f. From the cli at least you should be able to import a DEGRADED pool without -f. Now, what exactly does the second -F do? I'm curious if your pool is properly mounted with your command?

In general, it's a bad idea to force pool import unless you understand the implications. It's usually unnecessary or doesn't help unless you also address the problem(s).

Yell

Explorer
Beside the missing drive i had 6 read and 4 write errors on two different drives.
It was a newly setup and while transfering files suddenly 2 disks disconnected at the same time.

So i endet up with a raidz2 with 3 missing drives = dead raid.
After checking cables and SMART with a gparted live usb stick, i rebooted freenas.

The web GUI had a unknown datapool pool without size/datasets, the zpool status was empty.

So i removed [NOT deleting] the pool from the web GUI, a zpool import showed the degrated raidz2 but didt import it.

Code:
zpool import -f datapool

> showed the degrated raidz2 but didnt imported

Code:
zpool import -c /data/zfs/zpool.cache -f -F datapool

worked like a charm, with successfull scrub afterwards.
I think zfs thought that the pool was not importable so i had the force (-f) and use a recovery mode (-F) and used the cache file
(-c) since i created this raid on this freenas box.

Looked like no data was missing and even if there was a file corruped it would be overwrite by rsync. (since i was still migrating data)

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/819-2240/zpool-1m/index.html
-f
Forces import, even if the pool appears to be potentially active.

-F
Recovery mode for a non-importable pool. Attempt to return the pool to an importable state by discarding the last few transactions. Not all damaged pools can be recovered by using this option. If successful, the data from the discarded transactions is irretrievably lost. This option is ignored if the pool is importable or already imported.

Btw this costs me a complete afternoon to figure out and scrub ~.~

Status
Not open for further replies.