"Import Disk" fails with NTFS drive on TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-BETA.1

masru

Dabbler
Hi,

this is more a "Should this work? Is this feature ready or should I file a bug?" question, not so much a "how do I get the files copied?" question.

I run a new non-production system with TrueNAS-SCALE-21.08-BETA.1. I try to import a 4TB NTFS drive, target is a (temporary scratch) pool which consists of three striped disks of different size, 20TB in total. From there the content will be copied to the final pools later.

I tried "import disks" twice yesterday and tonight. After roughly 1.5TB the job stops. Checking the files in the destination folders it seems the job failed at the same point both times.

The task manager history states this and has a red warning sign in both entries:
Code:
pool.import_disk
Stopped: 2021-09-26 05:01:13

pool.import_disk
Stopped: 2021-09-25 20:21:08

Is there another place where I can find out what went wrong? And should this work? Is this feature ready or should I file a bug?

Regards,
Martin

masru

Dabbler
Also: there was no alert in "alerts" for the failing "import disk". I only found out by noticing the copied amount of data was less than expected and eventually checking the task manager.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Suggest checking you can read/copy the drive in another system... if so, it may be a bug and should be reported.

masru

Dabbler
Suggest checking you can read/copy the drive in another system... if so, it may be a bug and should be reported.
I have mounted it directly on the same system with "mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb /mnt/ntfs" and have copied everything without issue, so it's clearly an issue of the "import disk" feature. I will open a bug tomorrow.