I'm looking to set up NAS in my office for everyone to use. Inquiring on whether its possible to allow file creation, but not modification.

Hello everyone! I'm completely new to NAS and though I could ask for some clarification/help here before starting. I have a windows computer in the office that we use as a shared network storage over our internet connection, but my boss recently asked me for a more sophisticated solution. I was wondering if what he asked was possible with TrueNAS.

My boss gave me a list of five requirements:
1. A general folder for the entire office (around ten users) that everyone can use. He said he wants the user to be able to create files/read them, but not modify/delete them. It's my understanding that its impossible to allow file creation while disabling file modification, basic pointer pizazz, but I was wondering if there was a way around this.
2. A personal folder for every user that syncs with a folder on said user's Window's PC, which I understand is possible using Syncthing
3. A separate folder with specific user access. I.E. dev folder only accessible by dev team, which I think is standard in any NAS?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any ignorance on my end!

For reference, the PC we use is 8 cores, 8GB of RAM, & 4TB storage.

somethingweird

Contributor

rvassar

Guru
Hello everyone! I'm completely new to NAS and though I could ask for some clarification/help here before starting. I have a windows computer in the office that we use as a shared network storage over our internet connection, but my boss recently asked me for a more sophisticated solution. I was wondering if what he asked was possible with TrueNAS.

My boss gave me a list of five requirements:
1. A general folder for the entire office (around ten users) that everyone can use. He said he wants the user to be able to create files/read them, but not modify/delete them. It's my understanding that its impossible to allow file creation while disabling file modification, basic pointer pizazz, but I was wondering if there was a way around this.

TrueNAS Core has an option to set up a "SMB WORM" share where the file written becomes read-only to the network clients after 5 minutes.

2. A personal folder for every user that syncs with a folder on said user's Window's PC, which I understand is possible using Syncthing
Easy... Multiple options...
3. A separate folder with specific user access. I.E. dev folder only accessible by dev team, which I think is standard in any NAS?

Easy to do a folder. TrueNAS also has a plugin called "Gitea" that will provide a full featured private Github like SCM system, complete with a web-UI, etc... Jenkins is available in another plugin. See Gitea

Thanks in advance and sorry for any ignorance on my end!

For reference, the PC we use is 8 cores, 8GB of RAM, & 4TB storage.

Need 16Gb of memory minimum. If you want to play with the plugin's 32 Gb recommended. ECC memory strongly recommended for data integrity. Do not use USB attached disks for data storage. You can get away with a USB boot drive, but expect periodic trouble...

The 4Tb of storage is trivial these days, but understand a NAS is designed to support redundancy. There's an expectation that you will provide additional disks to accommodate drive failures. How much is kind of dependent on your requirements. 3 x 2Tb drives in RAIDz1 will give you 4Tb of storage, and allow one drive to fail. 4 x 2Tb, RAIDz2 yields the same, but allows for 2 drives to fail. 3 x 4Tb yields 8Tb storage and 1 drive, 4 x 4Tb = 8Tb with 2 drive, etc... It gets complicated about there due to the number of blocks of storage on the drives vs. the probability of any one block being bad. The probability changes as drives age, and opinions vary, so it's difficult to agree on where to alter the guidelines. The general recommendation is RAIDz2 for larger drives & critical data requirements, with "larger drives" being somewhere between 3 & 8Tb in size.