i386 to amd 64 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerdom96

Cadet
Hello everyone!
I found that with the i386 os, my full 4gb of ram werent used. This makes me want to upgrade to amd64, as I frequently get the following error:

em_map too small:317251584 total allocated
^[[Cpanic: kmem_map too small
cpuid= 1
panic: buffwrite: buffer is not busy???

Daily, or every couple of days, this error pops up, with a total crash of the machine. Eventhoutgh all the hardware stays running full power, I loose all interfaces and data transfer possibilities.

It is quite important for me to make the machine running FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-i386 to be more stable and reliable. Do you have any suggestions, and equally, is it possible for me to upgrade directly from the Freenas interface? When it comes to asking me sha256 sum, i am lodt. Can anyone please help me.

Thank you and kind regards
Tigerdom96

warri

Guru
You probably won't be able to do a GUI-Upgrade from i386 to amd64.

I think the best solution would be to do a dd copy of your memory stick (or use a new one), backup your config, and do a clean install of the amd64 version afterwards. Then you can re-import your config again, and in case anything went wrong, you can just revert to your old i386 image.

But I think the amd64 version should resolve the issues you are experiencing now - it generally is more stable and reliable.

ProtoSD

MVP
The most important thing is to make sure you have 64bit processor, otherwise it won't run. If you don't have a 64bit processor I have 8.0.2 32bit version compiled with KVA_PAGES =512 so you can tune loader.conf. There's also a link in my Unofficial FAQ below on running FreeNAS 32bit with low memory which would probably be helpful even though you have 4GB. The link is in my signature below and it's question #14, look for the link "Using-ZFS-on-FreeNAS-with-a-32bit-proc-and-low-memory."

tigerdom96

Cadet
Cool thx a lot guys!
I changed to 64 bit, with a bit of struggle a actually managed to upgrade the GUI to 64bit using a CD.
I will see, whether this will solve the problems I previously had.

The FAQ looks like a good help! thx for making them :)

Regards
Tigerdom96

tigerdom96

Cadet
Now that I played around a bit with that version, I found that the FTP didnt work correctly and that numerous things were still not as stable. To all those out there, save your config file, then do a complete reinstall (no upgrade) to the 64 bit version. This solved most of my problems.

The only main issue I am still having is that the reporting does not work. Does anyone have suggestions?

Regards
Tigerdom96

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
You may need to delete collectd files in /var/db/collectd and /data.
Those files are architecture dependent

Status
Not open for further replies.