Huge Issue after ZFS Pool Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracai

Guru
Unless the SSD that you migrated to was UFS. But, 9.3 doesn't support UFS and I think jails have required ZFS for a while now.

DavidHasEdge

Explorer
Yes the ssd I migrated to was ZFS.

I can't think of any error on my part. The data was there after I moved the jails. It was only after I uncovered some issues with the moved jails that I decided to delete some of them and recreate them. These were jails created from plugins. I did it all via the GUI.

Glorious1

Guru
I just last week deleted a jail and its plugin (Transmission) and the storage connected by the jail on the 'outside' was not affected.

pschatz100

Guru
As other posters have mentioned, I'm betting on operator error. That fact that TV Shows directories were deleted, but Movies directories were not deleted, would seem to indicate that the links to those directories were not treated the same - even though the OP says they were.

I have moved Jails twice since running FreeNAS 9. The first time I did it, I tried using the CLI to save time and managed to delete all my data by mistake. Nowadays, I know why this happened - it's an easy mistake to make when one is not familiar with the operating system. Since I keep good backups, it was annoying but it was not a crisis.

The second time I moved my jails, I worked mostly through the GUI. First, I removed the links to the data. Then I backed up the metadata and configuration files for my plugins (this I had to do through the CLI.) Then I deleted the plugins and the jails (using the GUI.) Next, I reinstalled the plugins on another volume (using the GUI,) then restored the metadata and configurations (using the CLI,) then redefined the links to the data (using the GUI.) Everything went fine.

Some things I have learned:
1) Moving jails is not a trivial task. There are lots of ways to mess things up.
2) Make backups of your plugin configurations and metadata. I do this now, as a regular part of my system maintenance.

DavidHasEdge

Explorer
Well my movies share was also attached and it was unaffected (luckily). So I have no idea why one share was deleted and one wasn't.

DavidHasEdge

Explorer
As other posters have mentioned, I'm betting on operator error. That fact that TV Shows directories were deleted, but Movies directories were not deleted, would seem to indicate that the links to those directories were not treated the same - even though the OP says they were.

I have moved Jails twice since running FreeNAS 9. The first time I did it, I tried using the CLI to save time and managed to delete all my data by mistake. Nowadays, I know why this happened - it's an easy mistake to make when one is not familiar with the operating system. Since I keep good backups, it was annoying but it was not a crisis.

The second time I moved my jails, I worked mostly through the GUI. First, I removed the links to the data. Then I backed up the metadata and configuration files for my plugins (this I had to do through the CLI.) Then I deleted the plugins and the jails (using the GUI.) Next, I reinstalled the plugins on another volume (using the GUI,) then restored the metadata and configurations (using the CLI,) then redefined the links to the data (using the GUI.) Everything went fine.

Some things I have learned:
1) Moving jails is not a trivial task. There are lots of ways to mess things up.
2) Make backups of your plugin configurations and metadata. I do this now, as a regular part of my system maintenance.

I can say with 100% certainty that all data was there after the jails were moved. I originally thought that the ZFS upgrade I did afterwards was the culprit, and I did this hours after my jails were moved.

pschatz100

Guru
I can certainly understand your frustration. I've been there myself. However, it seems unlikely that the ZFS upgrade itself was the culprit. If there was a problem with it then there would be lots of posts about problems. It is most likely that either 1) you did something else at the same time which caused the data to be deleted, or 2) you hadn't really noticed that data was missing until after the upgrade.

Anyway, good luck moving forward.

DavidHasEdge

Explorer
Right, like I said I originally thought it could be the upgrade, however as another poster mentioned, I did delete jails that had the storage attached. There's no use in beating a dead horse, but the data was there after all the jails were moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.