HP proliant DL380 G6 for FreeNAS and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

I will get my hands on a HP proliant DL380 G6 server with 2 xeon x5560 CPUs, a pair of 2,5” HDDs and I shall be able to put something like 128GB of RAM (ECC).
I know it might not be the best choice for FreeNAS, especially with the integrated P410i controller (and it's not the newest hardware either) but I'd like to see what I can get out of it.

That's why I'm posting this message. I'm not very familiar with server grade hardware so I’d be thankful for any feedback you might have.

Keep in mind though that the usage for this server would be for my personal home usage. Therefore, I don’t mind “bending the rules” a bit. By that I mean: if a solution is not completely viable for a professional usage it might not be a problem for a personal/home usage. ;-)

• Idea:
To only run FreeNAS on that hardware might be overkill and a waste of hardware. So I was thinking about virtualization. Running FreeNAS virtualized alongside with maybe 2 other VMs (active) and other possible (for testing).

It would also be a very interesting personal project: getting some experience in virtualization (which I currently don’t have).
I started to read a bit on that subject and I it’s not recommended to run FreeNAS in a VM and there are some important things to consider.

• Virtualization
It is recommended to use VMware to run FreeNAS. The hard drives shall be accessible directly by FreeNAS (no virtual disk or so or only for testing/playing around). Plenty of RAM (let’s go for 64GB) and there was an interesting discussion about the number of vCPU assigned (like >4 showed a drop in performances so this might need some testing).

• Hardware:
First problem, the integrated P410i controller. It has no pass through possibility so it can’t be used for FreeNAS. I will have to get a controller card (M1015 for instance) to replace the P410i so I can connect the disks to it and pass them directly (in VMware) to FreeNAS.

Second issue, it’s a SFF with an 8x2,5” HDD bay. I have six 3,5” drives for FreeNAS already... so they won’t fit in the 2,5” bay :-O. What would be the best option: get an external case, change the HDD bay of the server or is there any other cheap solution possible (bare in mind that it’s for a home usage, I’m open to a more DIY solution and if it’s not too expensive, it’s a plus!)?

• Storage considerations:
I’m not sure if it would be a good idea to keep like 2 disks (in mirror) on the P410i controller to store the VM images (instead of putting the images on the FreeNAS shares)?
What was the motivation behind? I’ll get the server with 2 disks anyway (146GB or something like that) and I might be able, in a near future, to replace them with 2 SSDs (I could also connect them on the M1015.).

• FreeNAS
As said, I would run FreeNAS as a VM in VMware, with direct access to the disks and dedicated RAM.
Question: I am actually running some jails in FreeNAS: Nextcloud, Plex (as DLNA server mainly, no video or rarely) and that’s about it. With FreeNAS running as a VM, shall I still run Nextcloud and Plex in jails within FreeNAS or shall I run them in separate VMs?

• Setting it up
I intend to play a bit (with VMware of example) prior to put it into production of course. And once in production, I will still have my backup server if something happens.

• Conclusion
Would you have any advice?
Is my reasoning correct, am I on the right path or completely wrong?
Is it worth it?
Yes I know, running FreeNAS in a VM might not be the “right” path... ;-)

Thanks.

Is it worth it?

Probably not. Especially if your time is worth anything.

We have FreeNAS on a HP DL360 G5, a generation older than yours. But, we have a proper LSI controller and an external HP D2700 disk pack to offset the lack of internal bays. Given the age of even the G6 (current version is G10), it isn't worth throwing more money into that hardware.

If I were going to do anything, it would be to acquire a proper FreeNAS server (plenty of bays and an HBA) then use the DL360 as your virtualization host. In that role, all it needs is CPU and RAM; you'll be storing your data on FreeNAS.

Cheers,
Matt

RegularJoe

Patron
That machine does 72GB, 144GB and 288GB very inexpensively with the right ram(used). If you have the RAM I would use it, if your buying the RAM it costs less to buy another 380g6 machine with the RAM you want than it does to buy new RAM for it.... One place we got 72 gig machines with 16 bays for $450 reach.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Thanks to both of you.

Well considering the costs for the server of about 0$/€ (including 128GB of RAM and I might have some laying around that I could add to it.).
The only costs involved would be for a controller (something like a M1015).

I thought for that price I get an interesting platform to play with (espescially with virtualization).
And for a home/hobby usage, it's not everyday you get access to such server grade hardware (I'm not working in IT so I'm also not used to it).

RegularJoe

Patron
if you have the server and ram I would do the virtual FreeNAS inside of VMware ESXi, I have seen it done and it can be stable.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Good to know, thanks. I'll check that out and see how it goes. It'll be a nice project and an interesting experience for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.