HP DL380 gen9 + Samsung consumer SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trubar

Cadet
Hello,

since i am new to FreeNAS (only have one box, which has some HW problems) and would like to replace it, was thinking going with this confuguration. I am using it for ISCSI host for test databasese. Maybe even some VMs.This is not production.

I would use HP server since i can get it preety cheap ( around 2k € )
HP DL380 Gen9
1x Xeon E5-2620v4
32GB of ECC RAM
P440ar and P440
16x disk slots

So i thought why not use regular Samsung SSDs. 500GB EVO or PRO? I know they got limitations on writes.

Any1 ever tried smth like this? It should be fast and hopefully SMART on ssd works. Should i watch out for some traps?

thx for any ideas...

We use (what I perceive to be) even lower quality SSDs than Samsung for our VMs shared over NFS. When have ADATA Premier SP550 960GB SSDs which were almost $50 less each than Samsung at a comparable size.

They are blindingly fast compared to the enterprise 10K SAS drives they replaced even with fewer spindles. We're not too worried about write endurance. At the rate SSDs are coming down in price, when their SMART data starts to look suspect, we can replace them.

Please double-check the disk controllers on that DL380 to make sure they can run in HBA mode (instead of RAID). You may need more RAM down the road, too, but that is less of a concern.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:

bigphil

Patron
The P440 and P440ar support true HBA mode, so you should be good there.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The P440 and P440ar support true HBA mode, so you should be good there.

They do not. The P440/ar are RAID controllers that use the CISS based driver that really sucks. Please also see

Status
Not open for further replies.