Howzit from South Africa

Ianfr

Cadet
Hi guys,
Posting from Johannesburg South Africa. I have just moved from Unraid to Truenas. This is on a HP Microserver 36 NL very older machine. Anyway slowly learning how to copy all the old data for our small printshop onto the server and share it.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Good for you and let us know if/when we can help you!

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I presume you are using a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to do this gracefully? As long as the UPS can signal to the NAS that there is an issue (in homes, usually via USB cable) then you should be OK regarding shutdowns. Getting that set up was a little intimidating under FreeNAS (11.x) and I don’t know how it is in 12.

Ianfr

Cadet
Hi Constantin, we have a ups. What i am looking is to shut down when we know a power cut is coming sometimes it is when we are sleeping from Midnight for 2.5 hours if it goes according to plan or up to 10 hours if the cables get stolen when there is no power.
How do you switch off the server on the web page?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Look to the top right corner of the UI web page. You should see a power button icon up there. You can shut down, restart, or log out from the UI from there.

You can also reboot or shut down from the serial console, whichever is easier.

You can also tell the UPS to turn off as part of the shutdown process, to help prolong the life of the battery and to limit the beeping. However, the UPS has to have the built-in capability to do so.

Some BIOS', IIRC, also allow the machine to auto-boot when power is restored, ditto the UPS. So I'd look into that.