HowTo save system modications

Status
Not open for further replies.

johann

Cadet
Hi!
I run and embedded version. Easy install and work fine!
I needed to customize some config files as adding aliases, adding a termcap entry to support my ordinosaur tandy model 200 used as a terminal and few others things.
I first test adding aliases. But I do not understand why they are not saved? At reboot the old config files are set-up in their genuine form.
Does it means that to modify them I have to re-compile a private version? and create a new image which could be logical since we load it into a ramFS, isn'it?

If I'm not wrong could some one give me some info to do it under BSD as things are a bit differents under this system?

thanks.

ohnename

Explorer
First you have to make your filesystem writable with mount -uw /
If you want to change files in /etc then make your changes in /conf/base/etc because thats whats read on boot, it is also automatically changed in /etc after a reboot.

johann

Cadet
Hi Ohnename!
thanks for your reply.

In the past I already have such an issue dealing with an old computer for which the FS was assigned as read only.
In fact the problem it's not to turn a filesystem in R/W mode but much more to understand why modifications in the file spotted at /root/.cshrc, for example, doesn't keep my adding? as permission are set to be RW for the owner, root in this case.

Sorry about that I should have been a bit more clear on the word "configuration" I was meaning the system adds, prompt style, FS support add... and not the change made to the NAS configuration file.

If the system is working all in a ramfs, it should possible to make some change without rebuilding all from the ashes?

If you have just a clue, post it! I'm propably not the only having trooble with it?

A+

ohnename

Explorer
In fact the problem it's not to turn a filesystem in R/W mode but much more to understand why modifications in the file spotted at /root/.cshrc, for example, doesn't keep my adding? as permission are set to be RW for the owner, root in this case.

If I want to change /root/.cshrc I had to change the file .cshrc at /, after a reboot /root/.cshrc is changed automatically. I still have to make the filesystem r/w first.

johann

Cadet
huuuumm!
strange coz it doesn't work on my NAS.
I use a 7.3 embedded version is that the same for you?

johann

Cadet
Ok!
I think so too, it seems that for the embedded 7.2 version is not able to store anything else than config file.
I did the following:
from the webGUI go to ADVANCED then go to file editor and choose some file like /etc/rc this one can be modified as the SAVE icon is enabled, in opposite /root/.cshrc is cannot be saved.
what I conclude then is that even from the interface when running an 7.2 embedded version nothing is going to be saved from your own system modifications/adds once you reboot it...
Apparently this drawback has been fixed for the version 8. The reason why I won't use this version is that they remove so many interresting and usefull services. And now much more powerfull computer are needed to make it run (i.e ZFS) and power consumption is notably increasing...

Finally the best way I found : it is to make a personnal rebuild of the FN 0.72 to suit my needs.
I will wait a while before to turn this thread to SOLVED, which let sometimes to post remarks.

A+

misterredman

Cadet
Ok!
I think so too, it seems that for the embedded 7.2 version is not able to store anything else than config file.
I did the following:
from the webGUI go to ADVANCED then go to file editor and choose some file like /etc/rc this one can be modified as the SAVE icon is enabled, in opposite /root/.cshrc is cannot be saved.
what I conclude then is that even from the interface when running an 7.2 embedded version nothing is going to be saved from your own system modifications/adds once you reboot it...
Apparently this drawback has been fixed for the version 8. The reason why I won't use this version is that they remove so many interresting and usefull services. And now much more powerfull computer are needed to make it run (i.e ZFS) and power consumption is notably increasing...

Finally the best way I found : it is to make a personnal rebuild of the FN 0.72 to suit my needs.
I will wait a while before to turn this thread to SOLVED, which let sometimes to post remarks.

A+

That's exactly how the embedded install works for version 0.7. There are workarounds as you already found out but the usual solution is to do a full install instead of an embedded install.
With the full install your changes will survive a reboot. You can find more informations about the version 0.7 in the 0.7 forum here: https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.